Appeal experience

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Grumpy!

Appeal experience

Post by Grumpy! »

I found your website very helpful before the appeal, so thought I would tell you what has happened:

I was appealing on grounds of underperformance due to pressure at time of 11+ - music exams, extra curricular sporting competitions, amongst others. My son missed pass by 3 marks, but is usually high achieving, with excellent predicted SATS and on gifted/talented register in 5 subjects. Appeal seemed to go well, but have now heardit was unsuccessful. The letter states:

'Child's academic record shows him to be of grammar school standard and capable of performing well at a grammar school. He had too many other commitments at the time he was taking the test papers which affected his performance.

In the absence of evidence to show that the review process was not carried out by the Independent Assessment Board in a fair and consistent way, your appeal in respect of Calday Grange Grammar School has been unsuccssful.'

I had not realised that a previous review, of which I had no knowledge at the time, would completely rule out the appeal. The school had just submitted SAT's results for this, thinking that would be all that was required.

It's too late for us now, but I wish that I had realised this was the issue, more than the underperfomance, so other parents beware if your child has already been referred for independent review, this may scupper your plans.
medway222

Post by medway222 »

But surely this means that the panel were in agreement with you that HE IS of grammar school ability, so the review was conducted unfairly!
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

You would think so wouldn't you! They just mean all the paperwork was carried out properly, so I never stood a chance as I was trying to prove was clever enough.
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Can I ask if you received paperwork for the review that took place before the appeal? Or did they ask you to comment on whether you thought the review was fair? I'm assuming at the review you knew there was soem sort of internal process going on?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

This doesn't seem right. If your primary school were unaware that they were taking part in a HT review then surely the process has been prejudiced?
You need Capers or Etienne on this one I think.
Btw I'd be grunpy too!
Best wishes - Bougalou
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Grumpy, even :oops:
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Sorry, just to clarify and sorry for the bad English in my previous reply, are you saying you had no knowledge of an internal review taking place even at the appeal itself?

If so, I agree there seems to be something fishy going on and we need some input from our wonderful experts...

Grumpy, you have all my best wishes!
medway222

Post by medway222 »

I was of the understanding that Grumpys post meant that allthough he went through review he didnt know at the time it would cost him in a further appeal?
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Yes Medway222, I could be getting this all wrong but I'm referring to:
Grumpy! wrote:
I had not realised that a previous review, of which I had no knowledge at the time, would completely rule out the appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Grumpy

Unfortunately this change was introduced (without any prior consultation) in the new Code of Practice on appeals. The situation is confused because different panels are taking different decisions on whether the local review has been carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way.

There was a discussion recently here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 274cbcd04d

Could you tell me:
1. whether your case was heard by a local authority appeals panel or a foundation school panel?
2. whether the appeals paperwork you received explained that your case would not be considered further unless it was shown that the local review was not carried out fairly, consistently or objectively?
3. whether the written case from the admission authority explained how the review process was carried out, and what steps were taken to ensure it was done properly?
4. whether the chairman or clerk at the hearing explained to you that your case would not be considered further unless it was shown that the local review was not carried out fairly, consistently or objectively?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now