Top ten grammar schools for GCSE results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
test1

Top ten grammar schools for GCSE results

Post by test1 »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0 ... e-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Re: Top ten grammar schools for GCSE results

Post by Guest55 »

Several problems with this - it's 2017 data and one year's data is dangerous to generalise from.

You need to look at Progress 8 not just raw results.
test1

Post by test1 »

I think it is based on progress 8
The schools are ranked according to the percentage of pupils achieving five or more A*-C/9-4 grades, and how they fared in the DfE's new Progress 8 measure, which measures the progress children make between the end of primary school and the end of secondary school.
It is just a data point. Use it as you deem fit or even ignore it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Progress 8 is given as a score - that is wrong as it has a confidence interval so should not be used to rank. Intervals overlap with each other ...
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Guest55 wrote:You need to look at Progress 8 not just raw results.
Guest55 wrote:The Progress 8 is given as a score - that is wrong as it has a confidence interval so should not be used to rank. Intervals overlap with each other ...
:)

Just to add...
The list is just for grammar schools. Taking the Progress 8 'score' and ignoring Guest's second point, Tiffin Girls' (1st according to the Telegraph) comes in at 9th in the country and Wilson's (10th according to the Telegraph) comes in at 46th.

Equally pointless but I'm prepared to write the artical and take the money if the Telegraph are reading this :)
test1

Post by test1 »

Go for it. We'll post a link here to your article and debate :D
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

All the schools on the list are 100% for 5+ GCSEs, so progress 8 is the factor determining rank in this incredibly useful list by the Telegraph just before THIS year's GCSE results come out.

I'm shocked that there's no HBS on the list. It can only mean one thing - the school is on a downward slide! I suppose we'll just have to aim for Tiffin, Nonsuch, Kendrick or Loreto instead when the time comes.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

thisisnuts wrote:All the schools on the list are 100% for 5+ GCSEs, so progress 8 is the factor determining rank in this incredibly useful list by the Telegraph just before THIS year's GCSE results come out.

I'm shocked that there's no HBS on the list. It can only mean one thing - the school is on a downward slide! I suppose we'll just have to aim for Tiffin, Nonsuch, Kendrick or Loreto instead when the time comes.

Sadly there will be people who don't see this idea as a joke
piggys

Post by piggys »

Reading Mum wrote:
thisisnuts wrote:All the schools on the list are 100% for 5+ GCSEs, so progress 8 is the factor determining rank in this incredibly useful list by the Telegraph just before THIS year's GCSE results come out.

Sadly there will be people who don't see this idea as a joke
Let them go elsewhere - good riddance. HBS would be better off without the tourists who desire nothing more or less than an exam factory and care nothing for pastoral care or community spirit.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So why does HBS not do more to discourage them?

There was a girl in the school for 18 months coming down by taxi from Coventry every day.

Students I know in her class said she was falling asleep in class all the time and she was often really late because of heavy traffic.

Hopefully when the parents registered a Coventry address they were contacted by the school.

It would be good to see a statement about travel on the website with the school recommending that an hour as the maximum commute time for the girls.

It would also be good for the Head to actively address this problem in her speech at the open day.

If the schools actually started to tell parents very clearly that they don't want their girls have had to have such long commutes that perhaps some parents would think again.

Same goes for QE boys. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now