Reapplying to Oxbridge.

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pumpkin Pie

Reapplying to Oxbridge.

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Has anybody had any experience of reapplying to Oxbridge?
Is it worth it or should one just move on?
Guest55

Re: Reapplying to Oxbridge.

Post by Guest55 »

From my experience supporting students it is rarely successful. I'd advise moving on unless the gap year is likely to enhance the application significantly [not just better grades]. Which degree? Which uni? PM me if you prefer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I know about two young people who did this. One was rejected from Cambridge and went on to make a successful application to Oxford. And someone my son was interviewed with had been rejected last year and got a place this year, albeit at a different college. I think that is what is advised, to try a different college. I also think it depends on things like grades: potentially if you are borderline grade-wise it is less likely to succeed than if you have aced the grade requirements and more. As you know I am a fan of gap years anyway so if that is on the cards then why not try again, ensuring that it is not the only reason for the year out.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have experience of this.

All five of the students in my dd's year who reapplied got in.

The success rate for reapplications when A levels have been secured is 40%

You are a sure bet, you have your grades and you have been prepared to wait a year and reapply instead of rushing off to university.

My dd is currently helping out some friends she has met on courses who missed their offers this year, some of whom are going elsewhere and some of whom will have another go.

It is a big step but your dc has some time to think about this.

There was a great post last year from a forum member whose dd had another go and got in and it was lovely to read. Can't remember who it was but she was a language student who put her gap year to very good use and Oxbridge obviously thought so too as she got an offer this time around.

Did your dc miss the grades or not get an offer in January? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These are small numbers and not representative - for STEM is it almost unheard of.

In Humanities it does happen - where did the 40% come from? Never heard of anything like that from missed offers first time round - please link to this data.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have no idea about the percentages nor about the relative success rates for Humanities or STEM, but if a gap year is on the cards anyway, the grades are high enough and that is where a person really wants to go, I would give it a shot. I can also categorically bust the myth that Oxford doesn't like gap year students as most of those we know who have been successful have already got their grades (mix of subjects, not Humanities).
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 58&t=49393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a success story of a student who did not get Cambridge then went on to achieve excellent grades, took a year out, reapplied to Oxford and received an unconditional offer.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Small sample size alert (16)! Have just asked DDs about this and they counted 50% success rate, all applicants with 3 or more A*s. Success rate far higher at Oxford, all a different college, some science/engineering but at least 2/3 humanities/arts/languages, none for maths.
However, obviously a small sample size and many will have different stories. I would ignore the data and focus on DC. Do they want to try again? Why? Is that really good reason? How will they cope with another disappointment? What else will they do with the year (one of DD2's friends appears to have done absolutely nothing, got her offer but has been very bored and profligate with the opportunity to develop herself in other ways, sadly. How much will it drive you mad having them at home going through this again :wink: :lol: (not entirely a joke, but largely :D ). What has changed that makes them think they might get in this time? How will they feel if they don't give it a go?
If DC decides to go for it make sure he/she treats it (the year) as an opportunity and have a plan for more than just resitting, particularly afterwards. If they decide to go for it make sure they realise that they are no longer a school child and need to pull their weight around the house, financially etc. Make sure they have plans of what to do no matter the result and so will gain something either way. DD1 considered it and decided against. She has never regretted it, despite her best friend re-sitting and getting in. But that was her and this is your DC. Good luck either way and whatever the decision don't look back. :)
mad?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

It is interesting to observe how despite short term ripples, in the long run equilibrium returns.
Thirty years ago Oxbridge abolished entrance exams, and seventh term entry disappeared almost entirely. Today entrance exams are back, and seventh term entry has become increasingly common once again.
I read somewhere recently that 40% of Hills Road Sixth Form College's successful Oxbridge/med/vet applicants nowadays are seventh term.
Loopy
Amber

Post by Amber »

What does seventh term mean? Is it a religion or another way of saying gap year? Sorry, genuine question.