How do we know if a low or high level five achieved?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lottie

How do we know if a low or high level five achieved?

Post by lottie »

Hi All

Hi Ken - I've just used the link that you placed on previous thread (explaining sats results - very helprful, thanks) :D (yes, still smiling!)

Does anyone know.......

When we receive the KS2 results in year 6, do we just get told that our child achieved a level 5 - do they omit the a,b,c of the end? If they do, will their new high schools have information on the exact scores i.e high level 5(a) or low level 5 (5c).

Also do we as parents get to find out what their standardised scores were? Or do the primary and high schools get this info only (if they do can we request a copy)?

Thanks for any response
Lottie :D
katel

Post by katel »

If you ask the teacher they will tell you - they have the percentage scores for each test. Why do you want to know?
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi Katel

I know that the teachers have the percentage results for the mocks, but after the 'real' test will the results indicate whether it's a high or low level 5.

The reason I ask is, our D just scrapped a place at KE, but we know that she didn't do her best (I think she misread the NVR section, as she thought this section was really easy, but she did quite badly in it!) - all that said, we are very happy that she has passed and managed to gain a place (which wasn't easy, long story!).

However, I am slightly worried that her new school will under-rate her due to her low score, and therefore, hope that they take into account her sats results (assuming that she performs well :D !!!!).

She achieved 100 % in maths and Science in her lastest mocks (her teacher said that she would have put her forward for the level 6 paper if it still existed!), which is a 5a.

Do you know if her new school will have her standardised scores, opposed to just a level 5 (which would put her in the top 10 %, and hopefully contribute to the school not just seeing her as borderline!!)?

Thanks for any responses.
Kind Regard
Lottie :D
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Lottie

I wouldn't worry - don't think any of the KE Schools Stream in years 7 or year 8.

If KE Handsworth is like KEFW, then they do set personal achievment target but this is not based on SATs (which some children from prep schools don't do) but a mixture of their 11+ exam score and additional assessment tests that they take in school during the first few weeks.

After that though, they just use internal exam scores, handwork scores or teacher assessments.

Regards

Ken
katel

Post by katel »

I had a bit the same issue with my dd - she got a 4a for her maths SAT ( she wasn't really expected to get a 5 - maths not her strongest subject!) I found out from her teacher how close she was to a 5, then talked to the head of year 7 at her next school. She said that they took very little notice of either SATS or 11+ scores. The don't set until year 8, and they do their own assessments and CAT tests in year 7 and base the setting on those.

So I wouldn't worry.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It does vary from LA to LA and from school to school. We were given our child's papers in Y6 so we found out the marks.

All marks and levels are transferred to Secondary schools throughout the country via the UPN (unique pupil number) - Most schools use these levels to set Y9 targets because they will be judged on how much progress their pupils have made.
lottie

Post by lottie »

Thanks for responses everyone!

Up untill the last 3/4 months, I always dismissed the sats, as I felt that they were ultimately a means to measure the schools overall performance!?

Thanks Ken for info on KE in particular - I am going to take the advice offered by all and NOT worry :D

My daughter's school seems to be 'obsessed' with the sats - although our D has handled them well, other children in her class have had a lot of pressure and extra lessons pushed onto them! It seems that they are determined to get a higher place on the local school tables!?

Our daughter's teacher has told them that after the sats, they will have Fun, Fun and more Fun, with no more timetabled /structured lessons, and lots of extra breaks! Which our D is obviousy looking forward to - it's a nice way to end her final year at primary :D .

Lottie
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Oh dear Lottie - that is such a shame - I'm all for fun but just think how hard it is in September to get 'back to speed' when you haven't had proper lessons for 3.5 months.

Secondary transfer is hard enough anyway - why make it harder!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Guest55 - my sentiments exactly. It's all very well winding down towards the END of their last term at primary, but I know my son won't be doing any work after the SATS either. In fact, he's not had any homework since December (and I'm fairly sure they won't start to hand it out after the SATS!). September will be a big shock to him as he's going to a grammar school where they pile on the homework during the first couple of months.

Also, of course, he won't have had much in the way of learning new stuff/being educated for the best part of a year.

But, he will, of course, be a dab hand at revising stuff he already knows!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - I'm ALL for 'excellence and enjoyment' but as a GS teacher I know what starting Y7 is like. Bucks have developed some transition materials for the post KS2 weeks in English, Maths. Science and Geography for children to bring on Induction day - I think this is a great idea as Y6 teachers will have a focus and, and a Secondary teacher, I will get to see what the children can do in July.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now