Travelling from Beckenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Allyfe

Travelling from Beckenham

Post by Allyfe »

My DD will be taking the 11+ next year. We are in Beckenham, and so we have worked out that Newstead and Wallington are both do-able in less than an hour. But we keep being told to spread our options. We are OOC so I am aware she would need high scores. But I was wondering if any here do a journey from Beckenham? If so, where is it to and what is the journey like? I am worried about the social implications of living far away too (my aim would be a commute of no more than an hour). Moving would be a possibility but it isn’t our preferred option. Thanks!!
ToadMum

Re: Travelling from Beckenham

Post by ToadMum »

Surely most DC living in Beckenham would also go to school there? If the nearest grammar school is an hour away, then 'spreading your interests' would realistically mean looking to see which local schools your DD actually has a chance of getting into and which of them would be the best fit for her?

Having said that, depending on how near you are to the right station, Chis and Sid would be doable in a similar time, but a place there would probably depend on your DD being in the top 180 in the Bexley test.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

Sorry, I should have made clear that I wasn’t talking about the local schools. Those we have covered, although we are considering grammar because we think that would be a better fit for her. If we didn’t think that we would be focusing uniquely on our neighbourhood schools. I should also have added that, at this stage, DD wants to go to a girls school.

What i’m trying to work out is if I have missed anything in terms of the Kent schools. I think it is likely they would only work if we moved, but I wanted to ask in case I was missing some routes.

Thanks!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If she can get to Lewisham to change trains, Dartford would be a possibility?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

Thanks Toadmum. She could get to Lewisham. It looks like a really long walk from Dartford station at the other end. Is that right? I can’t help thinking that Kent schools would require a move.

She would need to get in on the 180, but if she did and something went wrong with both Sutton and Newstead, then we could think about it. I guess that will be the plan C (along with local schools).
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Top 180 is for Bexley schools only.

Dartford is in Kent. Kent schools all have differing selection criteria - you would need to check the website for Dartford girls
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Hi
There is a private coach service from Beckenham junction to Dartford Grammar run by North Kent School Transport. Look on their website for the timetable and prices - nkst.co.uk. Dartford Grammar Girls offers some out of county places to high scorers. Again you will need to check their admission criteria.
woodyrocks

Post by woodyrocks »

Hi OP,

This was exactly my consideration a few years back but I ended up scrapping the idea of Kent schools early on.

Clockhouse to Lewisham for Dartford is one option, Beckenham to Bromley South for Sevenoaks (Bat&Ball for Weald) is another or Beckenham to Orpington for Tonbridge & Tunbridge Wells, rounded off with a long walk to all schools. Not quite do-able in under an hour but not too far from it bar T.W

Just factor in that wherever your DD ends up, you will be doing the drive more than you imagine. Think early morning trips drop-off, late games, weekend rehearsals, tutor meetings, performances...

Re: spreading options, have you considered adding a couple of private schools into the mix? JAGS, Alleyns and BHS all offer assisted places for bright girls.

Good luck with it all.
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

Pettswoodfiona - of course! I was getting my Bexley and Kent confused. I think Dartford is 60 out of catchment (something like that) so I should have realised the 180 thing made no sense. I have discounted Bexley now, so I will forget the 180 thing.

Louise thank you again! That is such a useful revelation!!

Woodyrocks I think Kent would be our back up. And we would really have to decide about the travel. For Tonbridge, aside from the journey, there are so few governor places I worry that DD would feel isolated from friends who are all much more local. There are so many factors. And who knows if you get the decision right!

For the privates, the issue is we have are a saving fund for the kids uni (DS and DD) which is in our name. We would have to use that first and then the kids would have nothing to help with uni debts. I want degrees and further degrees to be possible without enormous debts. It is a bit frustrating because Jags is probably closest for travel! But at the same time, I can understand the argument that if we have some savings we should pay. It is a shame we didn’t put it in the kids names.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Does it make it easier if you think of the student loans as a graduate tax? Look up Martin Lewis on the subject & it might change the way you view the debt.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now