Where is everyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by anotherdad »

qwerty wrote:Good luck to your daughter at university. Do you finally feel your job is done? I've read on here that some think their job is done if their child qualifies in the 11+, I must admit I would have been like that until I read some of the comments on here - probably yours!
Thanks. I do feel like that to be honest. Of course I'll be there to support her at university because I'm sure it won't all be plain sailing but I'm very proud that she has become a relatively independent young woman and I'm confident that she is ready to make her own way in life. She has good values and her head is screwed on so I can't really ask for more than that. Her academic results are the product of really good teaching, support at home but most of all her work ethic. We've never had to suggest she works or revises more, she's been entirely self-motivated.

Yes, there are some parents who think "job done" once their children qualify at 11+ and they are wrong. Apart from anything else, education, not just academic but social, is best done when parents and schools work together. I see too many parents sending their children off to grammar school and not being at all interested or involved over the next seven years, yet popping up to bask in the reflected credit on GCSE and A level results days. They seem to think that grammar school is a foolproof route to success that requires no input from them. Apart from anything else, what's the point in having children if you're not going to take an interest in them and their schooling?
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

This is my last 11+ year, thank goodness and yes, just got A Levels and GCSEs out of the way for my oldest two. I first looked on here when dd was going through selection, went to appeal successfully and she's now off to study French, the subject we put forward to the appeal panel as the reason she really needed to go to a grammar!

Ds is possibly the brightest of my lot but is also the laziest; doing revision has been like pulling hens teeth... He knows where he wants to go but that hasn't proved a motivator yet. We do have the back-up of high CATs and strong subject reports if he ends up needing a review, having done this twice before I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I will certainly be very glad when this is all out of the way! Good luck to everyone :)
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

I'm here

I've really backed off this summer holidays - We've literally done a quiz once a week! I'm at the point of 'what will be will be'. Some quizzes DS scores 90% and some he scores 60%.
His main problem is he's too fast. he had 25 minutes to do 28 English comprehension questions and had finished with 12 minutes still to go. He then refused to go back through them (although i know he would in the actual exam) but i wonder how many of the answers he'll actually change!
I know my son is capable of a Grammar school, it's just what happens on the day and the pressure of a test that will determine whether he qualifies or not. Very frustrating.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I’ve tried to keep it low key with DD2 as 4years ago I was a stress bucket with DD1 ( who didn’t pass but got through on review) With the test changing, its been all new to me. For me the last few weeks have to be calm, early nights and some fun ( complete opposite of DD1) . A little each day , thankfully DD2 has been happy to do the work in the summer as she has wants to be with DD1 if she qualifies. Good luck everyone, it will soon be over , Dolly xx