Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by JaneEyre »

I really do advise for being ready to spend a bit of cash for asking the copy of the scripts and asking for remarks.

Last year, at his GCSE in English language, my son recovered 17 marks ;he was not even advised by his teacher to do a remark but I have heard too many stories of bad marking so I was ready to pay for it as he had the feeling he had done well.

As for me, my grade also change boundaries after a remark in AS English literature as I knew I would not go onto the A2 and needed my AS papers to be properly marked. Here is an example how Brexit is affecting the life of Europeans and making them change their plans. :cry:

So I advise you to be alert! :wink:
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

teachers get the raw marks, make an appointment and ask to see the raw marks. Some email the student the raw mark. Compare to the grade boundary, anything about 2-5 marks away from next upper grade, get remarked in my opinion. Cheque with the skool.
susanass

Post by susanass »

topsyturvy wrote:
susanass wrote:Hi, I hope someone can please help as I do not know what to do. I requested the breakdown for my DC's GCSE results. Mainly for Physics (AQA Board) as this is one of the subjects chosen for A-level and the result is a 6. The mark for my dc is 101, (the grade boundary for a 7 is 103 and the grade boundary for a 6 is 85). So a lot closer to a 7 than 6. My DC wants a re-mark as wants to take this for ALevel. Does anyone know how risky this is? I don't want it to go down instead of up obviously as a place has already been offered with a 6! Are mistakes made or am I wasting my time?Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Very close indeed. Maybe chance of getting 2 marks in long questions.

Have you checked what DC's marks are in Paper 1 and Paper 2; check grade boundary for P1 and P2 on AQA. Which of the paper looks more favourable to re-mark.

All the best!

Yes, Paper 1 is 61, and Paper 2 is 40. I can't find a breakdown for both papers on the AQA website. :? I think I may ask for a copy of the script to start with and then a remark if the teacher thinks I should, although I am edging towards a remark at this point. Thank you very much for all your input everyone, it has been so helpful and still looking forward to more replies if there are anymore coming. :D
committed

Post by committed »

Copies of the GCSE script are not available for AQA (discussed on another thread last night), so you won't be able to take a look and then go for a review.

As you're 2 marks off the next grade up and 16 marks above the grade down (and it is a less subjective subject), I'd have thought that the worst that happens is that the grade stays the same - but you never know.

Best of luck.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would absolutely go for the remark now.

They are not going to change their mind about 16 different things in the paper that you have got marks for but it is much more likely that they will find 2 different things where they could have given you a mark.

Remarks do not have to be declared on UCAS forms. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BTW - it is called a review of marking now...
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Dd received an email day after results day from her Chemistry teacher asking her if she had thought about having a remark as she was 4 points off the next grade.

Not having gone through this before, I'm wondering whether it is worth it? Dd has the grades she needs to do the A Levels she wants in Sixth Form, none of them Science. It wouldn't affect anything, the only possibility of it going up would be that it would be in line with her Physics and Biology grades!

It was the one result of all her exams that was very different to the predicted grade.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Physics Paper 1 and Paper 2 grade split is on page 24 on this link

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_ ... N-2018.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this helps.

Get one paper marked first, and then do the second if needed. Many do not get both papers marked at same time.

susanass wrote:
topsyturvy wrote:
susanass wrote:Hi, I hope someone can please help as I do not know what to do. I requested the breakdown for my DC's GCSE results. Mainly for Physics (AQA Board) as this is one of the subjects chosen for A-level and the result is a 6. The mark for my dc is 101, (the grade boundary for a 7 is 103 and the grade boundary for a 6 is 85). So a lot closer to a 7 than 6. My DC wants a re-mark as wants to take this for ALevel. Does anyone know how risky this is? I don't want it to go down instead of up obviously as a place has already been offered with a 6! Are mistakes made or am I wasting my time?Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Very close indeed. Maybe chance of getting 2 marks in long questions.

Have you checked what DC's marks are in Paper 1 and Paper 2; check grade boundary for P1 and P2 on AQA. Which of the paper looks more favourable to re-mark.

All the best!

Yes, Paper 1 is 61, and Paper 2 is 40. I can't find a breakdown for both papers on the AQA website. :? I think I may ask for a copy of the script to start with and then a remark if the teacher thinks I should, although I am edging towards a remark at this point. Thank you very much for all your input everyone, it has been so helpful and still looking forward to more replies if there are anymore coming. :D
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

What is the difference? Does this mean they will not remark, only check if the original examiner has checked all points of answer, clerical check on totals.

How does this work for subjects like English where students viewpoint can clash with original examiner's. In Maths and Science review is more useful, but subjects like Languages needs remarking?

Thoughts!
Guest55 wrote:BTW - it is called a review of marking now...
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Find out raw marks for the 3 maths papers for the DD. Try and find out which paper chance of getting that one mark.

Worth a try!
piggys wrote:We have a similar issue as my dd was literally 1 mark off an 8 for her maths. I'm not bothered about it but she is! I guess we will consult the school.