Little Women - Louisa May Alcott - full or bridge version??

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: Little Women - Louisa May Alcott - full or bridge versio

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote:If you like LLF (which is what we used to call DS1 as he was growing up!) JE then I am sure you have also read The Secret Garden by FHB? The descriptive writing is lovely!
No, I have not read it yet, so thank you for the suggestion! :D
loobylou wrote:. We bought the DVD of A Little Princess shortly afterwards and I still remember dd sobbing from about 5 minutes in, all the way to the end,
A set of DVD which is sure to set me in tears each time my children watched it is Heidi. There is an absolutely lovely set of many DVDs (cartoons) in French which sadly does not exist in English. But I do recommend also this lovely story to your DD, food4thought! :D

Here is a little song in French with all the Swiss influence! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUb9Pg7KmEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the version in German if your prefer this language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fffb078iXU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here it is in Japanese!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKi1VlE94A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this one Spanish??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtxQbKHXmgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, please, explain to me why this film has not been translated into English! :oops: :oops:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There is a very old version of Heidi, with Shirley Temple in the title role but I don’t remember it as being very good! I think it might have been remade relatively recently though but must confess I haven’t seen it! Loved the book when I was younger though!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My all time favourite book from my youth is The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. If you haven’t read that, Jane Eyre, seek it out - it may not stand the test of time but it is a story about a girl and her imaginary friends - who are in fact real, a unicorn, love, relationships, race, friendship and I just loved it and read it over and over!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote: a girl and her imaginary friends - who are in fact real, a unicorn, love, relationships, race, friendship
With themes like these, I really need to read it! :D Thanks!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:My all time favourite book from my youth is The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. If you haven’t read that, Jane Eyre, seek it out - it may not stand the test of time but it is a story about a girl and her imaginary friends - who are in fact real, a unicorn, love, relationships, race, friendship and I just loved it and read it over and over!
One of JK Rowling’s favourite books, I believe.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Is it?! I am in good company then. I have never found anyone else who has read it - I have very fond memories of my mum reading a chapter a night to my sister and I - we always begged her to read another one "just one more" as she was so good at bringing books to life. I am very glad my boys were able to hear her skill at that when they were growing up.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now