Test Time Remaining Warning?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tonyheung

Test Time Remaining Warning?

Post by tonyheung »

For the CEM test, some exercise audio has time warning before the end of each section. Would the real test has the similar audio announcement warning on how much time left? Or the kid would have to keep an eye on the clock (if any) or bring an analogue watch?

Thanks.

Regards,
Tony
rhiane

Re: Test Time Remaining Warning?

Post by rhiane »

Hi,
DS sat the Berks last year and I remember him saying that there were time warnings, he's out at the moment, when he gets in later i'll report back.
I also remember him saying that he had a clear view of a clock
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don’t let your child rely on there being a clock though, and I think some schools do not allow watches of any sort these days (it’s easier than saying certain watches are OK but others aren’t I suspect).

DD says some of the clocks in the classrooms at her school are either not in a great position to be seen without turning around, depending on where you are sitting, or too small to be seen from the back. Whether they move them for the exam I don’t know.

It is best to get your DC prepared for all eventualities. Expect the unpexpected as they say.
tonyheung

Post by tonyheung »

Thanks @rhiane.

@Tinkers, I am interested to know the historical fact if the test held at Reading School would have time remaining warnings. As @rhiane had confirmed her DS experience. Would welcome other parents to share past experiences on this.

Regards,
Tony
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Hi Again
Sorry DS says that they were definitely given time warnings but can't remember how long they were?

I had a look at the info we were emailed at the same and he was allowed to wear a watch at his test centre (Upton Court) I copied and pasted the following from the email we received:

"Adequate time has been built into the schedule to give detailed instructions and ensure that all candidates understand what is required. Please note that candidates are not allowed to wear iWatches and wrist watches that include a data storage device; if your child does choose to wear a watch please ensure that all alarms are turned off. However, a watch is not essential as there will be a clock in the room.
There are examples at the beginning of each set of questions to familiarise candidates with the type of questions included in that section. The examples also give information about how to complete the answer sheets. Candidates will not be allowed to use scrap paper – any working out can be done in the question booklet. Rulers, calculators and mobile phones are not permitted in the examination room, so please ensure your child does not bring these items with them."

As Tinkers said some test centres may not have a clock positioned at the right angle for everyone but at Upton Court the tests are sat in large halls with all DC facing towards the clock (I know this as my then Y9 DD helped set up the halls)

I wish your DC the very best
tonyheung

Post by tonyheung »

Many thanks!
rhiane wrote:Hi Again
Sorry DS says that they were definitely given time warnings but can't remember how long they were?

I had a look at the info we were emailed at the same and he was allowed to wear a watch at his test centre (Upton Court) I copied and pasted the following from the email we received:

"Adequate time has been built into the schedule to give detailed instructions and ensure that all candidates understand what is required. Please note that candidates are not allowed to wear iWatches and wrist watches that include a data storage device; if your child does choose to wear a watch please ensure that all alarms are turned off. However, a watch is not essential as there will be a clock in the room.
There are examples at the beginning of each set of questions to familiarise candidates with the type of questions included in that section. The examples also give information about how to complete the answer sheets. Candidates will not be allowed to use scrap paper – any working out can be done in the question booklet. Rulers, calculators and mobile phones are not permitted in the examination room, so please ensure your child does not bring these items with them."

As Tinkers said some test centres may not have a clock positioned at the right angle for everyone but at Upton Court the tests are sat in large halls with all DC facing towards the clock (I know this as my then Y9 DD helped set up the halls)

I wish your DC the very best
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The best advice you can give your son is to listen VERY carefully to the instructions given, either on the tape, or by the invigilators. Just because CEM have run a test in a particular way before, does not mean they will run it the same way again.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The best advice you can give your son is to listen VERY carefully to the instructions given, either on the tape, or by the invigilators. Just because CEM have run a test in a particular way before, does not mean they will run it the same way again.
Not to mention that since the only familiarisation material that CEM itself produces is the short booklet available via the organisation running the test your DC is sitting, just because a totally unrelated commercial organisation says something happens / doesn't happen, don't assume that that information will be correct for the real exam.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now