13+ Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rash

13+ Test

Post by Rash »

Hi can someone explain the difference between 11+ and 13+ preparations please? Any tips or advice welcome. Thank you
Guest55

Re: 13+ Test

Post by Guest55 »

Nobody knows but keep an eye on here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... admission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/apply-for-a- ... sfer-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rash

Post by Rash »

Thank you Guest55
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The one thing I would add is that my DSs results seemed more realistic when he did the 13+. He did minimum prep but the scores were more on a parr with each other. The first time he had a very low VR score but very high NVR score.
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi Tolstoy, how long ago was that? Which books did he use for the prep also was your DS successful in the test following a gs place. Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I see it has been updated recently and it still says CEM. Tolstoy's DS sat it last year and has recently started at a GS. :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Tolstoy wrote:The one thing I would add is that my DSs results seemed more realistic when he did the 13+. He did minimum prep but the scores were more on a parr with each other. The first time he had a very low VR score but very high NVR score.
I'm with Tolstoy - our DS sat the 13+, at 11+ lower VR score but very high maths/NVR, this time with home prep maths/NVR the same and VR much stonger. It could have been an immaturity in English at 11 and a couple of years made all the difference ... he did say he felt more comfortable with the 13+ and came out happy after the test. DS took the CEM 13+ two years ago and it was computer based/tight timings, not pen and paper as in 11+.

For prep ... some 11+ Maths/VR practice books, Maths/English revision books from WHSmith and 11+ NVR books. We didn't make a big thing of it, DS was doing well at his Secondary School but he asked to go in for it - just wanted to 'have another go' plus the pull of being with his older DS (they are very close) definitely was a big factor. He's now in Y10 and loving his school - has made lots of new friends but also has kept in touch with many of the friends made in Y7 & Y8 :D
Last edited by heartmum on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heartmum x x x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS wasn’t optimistic about his results. He was aware of others clicking away much faster than he did. Personally I think the VR at 11+ is artificially high due to the extreme tutoring that goes on. My DS wasn’t really tutored at 11 just a half hearted attempt at DIY by yours truly.
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi thank you all for the replies, sorry just saw the post today. I think I’m going to go ahead with it as this time my dd actually wants to have a go. Before, she wasn’t really interested and took it as almost like a punishment. I am very pleased with her attitude towards the whole thing this time so I’m a little hopeful. However, I’m struggling with the prep materials as not sure what will be most beneficial. Her spellings have always been weak so English lets her down. Any advice will be hugely appreciated. Thank you
Rash
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Okay, just asked DS what he did, as I left it to him. He basically just practiced papers we had hanging around after the 11+. They would have been the ones from this site i.e mainly First past the post. He practiced one NVR paper, his strenght, and focussed on the Maths and English ones.

I did panic a couple of times during the process thinking I should have got more involved but it was a difficult year personally so I didn't really have the time or energy. Maybe that was the best approach. The hardest bit is knowing they have little chance of a place. We were one of the lucky ones this time. However even if we hadn't been he felt he had proved himself and righted an unjust first result, if that makes sense. Like your DD, mine lacked the motivation first time round.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now