SET Prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RainbowStars

SET Prep

Post by RainbowStars »

Hi Everyone,

How is the 11+ prep coming along? I am majorly stressed out. Not sure if DD will make it. We are following a schedule/routine of daily maths and English but her scores are not consistent - a lot of mistakes. Can't wait for this to be over and for once we have a very eager 10yr old who can't wait for school to start :lol:

Please share your experiences and tips. Not long to go now!!
newdud

Re: SET Prep

Post by newdud »

In the same boat as you.
We follow a regime of English & Maths practice, scores are no consistency at all!

The whole house is very stressed... just want to get it over and done with now!

Not sure what else can be done.
RainbowStars

Post by RainbowStars »

Yeah your are right, nothing new to be done, we're just going over papers hoping that everything will fall into place on the day.

Newdud - do you have a DS or DD sitting this year? and are you IC or OOC? We are OOC applying to Nonsuch, Wallington Girls and Tiffins.

You have my sympathy - I know how you feel.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Mine is a DS ... a rather stubborn one :roll:
For all three boys GS we are IC but that does not make the process any less stressful
Pinkpelican

Post by Pinkpelican »

Us too!

DS is now at the stage of getting fed up with both, Maths and English. :shock:

We are doing only test practice at the moment (I mainly worked with him throughout the year with a few failed attempts of tutoring). I think a lot of it will depend how he is on the day.
We are OOC for SGS, Wilson's and Wallington.
newdud

Post by newdud »

My view is that over the next 3 weeks or so it will be pointless to just carry on with test papers as normal or at least
tune down the level of work.

The main thing is to build up their confidence with positive statement and de-stress them.
Just focus on a few key areas of weakness with very specific excise.
ilovemykids2018

Post by ilovemykids2018 »

Hi,

Stress is a massive understatement but glad I found this post as it is reassuring to know what others are doing, we are definitely taking a more relaxed approach now.
Our main issue is timing and I found some papers where they have to answer 25 (rather tough/wordy questions) in 15 mins, is this normal?
The usual bond style papers are slightly more generous with times.

Does anyone know what the real exam timing conditions are VS the number of questions? Is it 45 mins for 70 Qs?
Maybe anyone who had a child do the paper last year can answer?
RainbowStars

Post by RainbowStars »

I have mixed emotions about it being September tomorrow :? In a way it's good that the exams are approaching as we are all knackered but scary that all this hard work will be dependant on how DD performs on the day! Really feeling nervous now.

@ilovemykids2018 - no idea about the real exam format as this is our first time - so hopefully someone will respond. Do you have DS or DD taking the exam?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

My DD did the exams for both Nonsuch/Wallington and Tiffin last year. She can't remember exactly how many questions there were for each paper in the SET but she believes that there were more questions in the English paper. I think this applied to Tiffin also. Vocabulary is the key for the English paper. There were words she discovered just days before the SET and they appeared in the English paper! She managed to finish the English paper in the SET and missed around two questions in the Maths. She completed both Tiffin papers and said they weren't as difficult but I think this is down to the fact that there is much more time to prepare for the Tiffin exams as they come later into the new term. Happy to answer any questions.
RainbowStars

Post by RainbowStars »

Hiiii MCLC :D

When you say "There were words she discovered just days before the SET and they appeared in the English paper!" - what was her resource for the vocab? Can you give examples of types of words she discovered?

Hope you and DD are well :) x