Marking answers: A line across or shading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gracemum

Marking answers: A line across or shading

Post by Gracemum »

Hi all. Last minute worry: Looking closely, putting a line across the answer seems to be the right way rather than shading the bracket. My dd is practising and puts a single line on each answer on the practice paper as it was the instruction, but as I am an anxious mother and thought that a thin line might not be detected by the scanner. All the best to all.
nervousmom

Re: Marking answers: A line across or shading

Post by nervousmom »

The answer sheet should tell/show them exactly what to do.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nervousmom wrote:The answer sheet should tell/show them exactly what to do.
Presumably the familiarisation booklet or the instructions you receive about what candidates should bring with them will also specify the grade of pencil CEM consider the correct one to use?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
um

Post by um »

This has been a source of some confusion as last year, the familiarisation booklet clearly showed that children should colour in the box.
The booklet is here: https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... 017_v1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However when my son arrived at the exam, he was told to place a line through the box - and I know that other children also agreed that this is what happened.

The new familiarisation booklet is slightly different; see here http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org ... t_2018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given what happened last year, which certainly 'threw' my son and others who had been told by parents to shade, not line - I would always simply emphasize that children listen and read the instructions very carefully and ask if they are unsure.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

They asked them to put a line to save a bit of time.

Better correctly shaded without trying to colour it sort of thing will be my advice. Better safe than sorry.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Gracemum wrote:Hi all. Last minute worry: Looking closely, putting a line across the answer seems to be the right way rather than shading the bracket. My dd is practising and puts a single line on each answer on the practice paper as it was the instruction, but as I am an anxious mother and thought that a thin line might not be detected by the scanner. All the best to all.

I can understand this worry all to well. They recommended a HB pencil, hopefully the line will be visible enough for the scanners using that grade of pencil. Also, I have to keep reminding my son to rub things out properly.
um

Post by um »

They provide pencils and erasers.
Unfortunately the booklet doesn't make that very clear.
Gracemum

Post by Gracemum »

Thanks for all the replies. According to the familiarisation booklet, they will provide the pencils.Listening well and following instructions should make it easier for her to go through marking the answers. Maybe its just me being overly anxious. Thanks all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now