Is it just me who feels that they have lost the whole summer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
halsea

Is it just me who feels that they have lost the whole summer

Post by halsea »

We have tried hard to have days out and a couple of short trips, but fitting in at least an hour most days, seems to have overwhelmed our summer :( We came at this process very late, so I'm not a slave driver, but there were obvious gaps in her knowledge that school hadn't taught.
Yamin151

Re: Is it just me who feels that they have lost the whole su

Post by Yamin151 »

Is this for 11+?
Too late now of course but I'm sorry you felt it took over. With regard to school and the 11+, there will be gaps in knowledge because the primary curriculum is quite rightly geared towards what they need to know nationally to pass onto secondary school, not geared towards NVR etc that is merely found in the 11+ or maybe indie school tests

It sounds like you made the best of the summer and maybe you can try to do lots of nice weekend things once this is all over to make up for that lost time
halsea

Post by halsea »

Hi Yasmin,
Yes for the 11+ and independent schools. No it was things like she hadn't been taught the mean/mode and median, which I know she should have been by now.
Yes she is currently out playing with a friend, so we really have tried to balance it for her. I think its knowing that some have been preparing for 1-2 years and we started in July, has just meant a tough summer to get ready.

Thanks Yasmin :) :) Is your child doing the 11+ as well?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

halsea wrote: No it was things like she hadn't been taught the mean/mode and median, which I know she should have been by now.
No, these are not in the new Primary NC.

The only mention of averages is this Year 6 objective:
• calculate and interpret the mean as an average.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Oh ok, I had seen it taught in a year 4 class elsewhere, so presumed she would have been by now.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

halsea wrote:Hi Yasmin,
Yes for the 11+ and independent schools. No it was things like she hadn't been taught the mean/mode and median, which I know she should have been by now.
Yes she is currently out playing with a friend, so we really have tried to balance it for her. I think its knowing that some have been preparing for 1-2 years and we started in July, has just meant a tough summer to get ready.

Thanks Yasmin :) :) Is your child doing the 11+ as well?
Yamin :)

No, Mine did it a few years back - Y11 now! Good luck though, I know how stressful it can feel!
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks Yasmin, which school did your child get if you don't mind me asking?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

halsea wrote:Thanks Yasmin, which school did your child get if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, its Yamin rather than Yasmin

Mine are twins and qualified for 2 different warwickshire grammars, one a super selective

So not Birmingham ones :)
halsea

Post by halsea »

Sorry I was posting whilst my daughter had a friend here. I did think AGS looked great online, but we would have to move into catchment by this xmas.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Thats quite alright

We live just up the road from AGS and I know many people there who absolutely love it (we didn't, actually) but as you say, moving is the issue. Where are you hoping for?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now