Questions for the exam day - Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KentbridgeDad

Questions for the exam day - Kent

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Dear members, My daughter has some questions for the exam. Please help to clarify. greatly appreciate our help

1. During the exam for each of the paper/sections does someone in the exam hall mentions - like half an hour left, 5 min left, 2 min left etc

2. Do kids get white paper/sheets or can they carry white papers to do rough work, specially for math

3. Do they get toilet break after completion of a paper section say after Math

Thank you so much once again for your help in advance.

Cheers,
KD
ToadMum

Re: Questions for the exam day - Kent

Post by ToadMum »

KentbridgeDad wrote:Dear members, My daughter has some questions for the exam. Please help to clarify. greatly appreciate our help

1. During the exam for each of the paper/sections does someone in the exam hall mentions - like half an hour left, 5 min left, 2 min left etc

2. Do kids get white paper/sheets or can they carry white papers to do rough work, specially for math

3. Do they get toilet break after completion of a paper section say after Math

Thank you so much once again for your help in advance.

Cheers,
KD
Can't help with anything else, I'm afraid, but on page 14 of the familiarisation booklet on the Kent CC website, it says:

• You may do any rough work in the test booklet.

From which, I would assume that rough paper will neither be supplied nor allowed to be taken in to the exam?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Natalieb74

Post by Natalieb74 »

Hello,

My daughter sat the 11+ last year...answers as follows:

1. The exam invigilators tell you when you are nearing the end of the paper.

2. Any workings out must be done in the question booklets.

3. They get a couple of breaks and are able to take in a snack (no nuts though...we made that mistake!)
They can go to the toilet during the exam if they really need to but they are obviously advised not to!

Good luck to your daughter! X
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Kentbridgedad, Hope you don't mind if I ask a question on your thread...

Our exam is at 820am and we will be coming from Beckenham (about 45 min ride). Is it a good idea to get a hotel for the night before or just start early around 630am?

I'm concerned DD may not sleep well in a hotel.
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Many thanks ToadMum and Natalieb74. Appreciate your help.

Warm regards
TD
Natalieb74 wrote:Hello,

My daughter sat the 11+ last year...answers as follows:

1. The exam invigilators tell you when you are nearing the end of the paper.

2. Any workings out must be done in the question booklets.

3. They get a couple of breaks and are able to take in a snack (no nuts though...we made that mistake!)
They can go to the toilet during the exam if they really need to but they are obviously advised not to!

Good luck to your daughter! X
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Exam 2018, I don't mid and want to share my own experience as it may help you. Few years ago I was in a similar situation, in a very special scenario this test was arranged for my son and he was the only one doing this 11 plus test that day, the test was supposed to start at 8.30 am. if we took a train it was going to take door to door abt an hour and 15 min. I as concerned that he will need to get up early as otherwise he use to get up 7.30 am everyday as we were very close to his primary school. In this situation for the test I anticipated that he needs to wake up atleast 60-90 min before that to reach for test at 8.30.

We decided to avoid this and come a day before and stay in a hotel. My son and I came evening the day before, not sure what happened was it the anxiety or the new place, he did not sleep till 5 am in the morning in fact around 2am he complained of stomach ache and vomited as well. Somehow he slept around 5.30 am and I woke him up at 7.30 to get ready and get to test at 8.30 am.

After reaching the test venue and hearing all this from me they kindly rearranged the test and also scheduled it to start 11.30 am next time so that we can travel and do not come a day in advance.

Rest all is history, he is in a very good grammar school and We moved near the school.

If I had to do it again, I will not come a day in advance and stay in a hotel as it is difficult for a kid of that age and with exam pressure to be in a new place. But you also need to weigh that you are not waking up too early from the daily time that one day. may be start doing the routine few days in advance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
KD
Exams2018 wrote:Kentbridgedad, Hope you don't mind if I ask a question on your thread...

Our exam is at 820am and we will be coming from Beckenham (about 45 min ride). Is it a good idea to get a hotel for the night before or just start early around 630am?

I'm concerned DD may not sleep well in a hotel.
Last edited by KentbridgeDad on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Will you be planning to move, otherwise surely your child will have this issue every day for 7 years?
scary mum
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

scary mum wrote:Will you be planning to move, otherwise surely your child will have this issue every day for 7 years?
Bearing in mind that test venues are often far removed from target schools for OOC applicants.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Kentbridgedad, thanks a lot for your reply. Practice waking up early - excellent advice! Thanks !

Scarymum - yep, we will move there if she gets in!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now