Using exams from other areas as a trial run....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Transit

Using exams from other areas as a trial run....

Post by Transit »

Hi

What do you think?

I was considering for DC the Walsall exams as I understand that they come first in time, but would welcome views. Thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Using exams from other areas as a trial run....

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Unless you actually are considering applying to Walsall schools, please don’t.

For one it is completely selfish as it costs state schools a fortune to administer tests for huge numbers of people who have no desire or chance to get into their school. Money that comes out of education budgets that are being cut - as you do it to Walsall schools, others will do similar to a school that your child may want to go to - so it will affect them to.

CEM does say that you can only take one CEM test. You run the risk of that result being the only one they will accept - but it will not be accepted by other areas who will have a slightly different test. You would have to check this very carefully.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

I am presuming that you are talking about next year? As far as I am aware the test dates have not been released yet. It used the be that Walsall exams were in July and a lot of parents would use it as a mock. As a result of this the exam in now in September and may in fact be after the Birmingham exam.
Not only would it be pointless but also, as already pointed out, a waste of tax payers money. The Walsall exam is also on a school day so they also miss out on a day at school. There are plenty of mock exams available at a reasonable cost that also provide feedback.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

kenyancowgirl wrote: CEM does say that you can only take one CEM test. You run the risk of that result being the only one they will accept - but it will not be accepted by other areas who will have a slightly different test. You would have to check this very carefully.
Has this changed recently? My children have taken both the Walsall and Birmingham exams as we are on the border for both. My DS will be taking the exams next year. Is it just one that they do now?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think it may only apply to schools which use exactly the same test, e.g. Birmingham and Warwickshire, the Reading / Slough / Glos / Redbridge / Chelmsford County High grouping?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, for the same grouping which, whilst it does not affect Walsall currently, this could of course change by the time the OP's child takes the test - hence my warning that it needs to be checked very carefully!
Transit

Post by Transit »

Good point. I didn;t know that. I won;t do that.

Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

Do not listen to these people take both exams it gives your child the best possible chance of gaining a place at grammer school

At the exams you will see coach loads of people coming from all around the country to sit the exam with no intention of sending their children to a grammer here in Birmingham all for the practice

All my children sat both exams with the intention of gaining a place at Walsall or Birmingham
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I wouldn't bother tbh, I did it with daughter back when Warks was a separate exam. Her Birmingham score was within half a point of her Warks score so it clearly made absolutely zero difference.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

When we sat the test 2 years ago the Birmingham test was first (on a Sat) and the Walsall one 9 days later (a Monday).

My sons' scores were very different as I understand Birmingham is weighted more for English and Walsall for maths.

Just one thought, if you've no intention of going to Walsall then do you really want to put your child under all that stress. Because it is stressful on the day - hundreds of parents and kids.

I'd only do that if I thought we might want to go to that school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now