Son’s application ‘unsubmitted’

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silversixpence

Son’s application ‘unsubmitted’

Post by silversixpence »

We were quite shocked to learn today that our son is not registered for th Kent exam as apparently our application was ‘unsubmitted’ one minute after having been submitted by my husband in June. He would certainly not have done this deliberately and no further correspondence was sent to inform us that the application was unsubmitted. We are OOC and have applied for other tests but still wanted him to have a chance to take the test. Has anyone else had experience of this? After reading about OOC parents being discouraged to apply I am wondering if we need to investigate a bit more...
Sally-Anne

Re: Son’s application ‘unsubmitted’

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please drop the conspiracy theory about this being related to you being OoC - it just wouldn't happen.

Did you receive email confirmation of the original application?

If so, call KCC Admissions and ask them to talk you through exactly what the process would have been to "unsubmit" an application. If you are still logged in, how many buttons do you have to click on to do that? Just one - which has the potential for an accident, or several? (They might be kind enough to send you screenshots.)

If you do "unsubmit" your application, do you also get an email to confirm that? If not, why not?

The question you are asking is really "how on earth could this have happened, if we didn't actively make it happen?"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The most obvious question that springs to mind is whether the system is like the electronic CAF - can you go back into your account to amend details before the closing date, but then have to remember to resubmit, not just exit the system?.

Obviously, if you can't possibly do this, or you can, but he definitely didn't, or you can and he did, but definitely resubmitted before exiting, this isn't the answer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

This is weird, but something similar happened to another forum member. Their submission was just not registered. The child was allowed to take the test late, but was not considered in the first round of allocations. He eventually gained a place to his desired school on the waiting list.

All tests have the children’s details printed on them and for this reason they wouldn’t allow the boy to take the exam with everyone else.

Did you get a confirmation email?

Salsa
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

I'm so paranoid about online systems, I kept logging in and scrutinising the exact wording in our account, just to be sure. Where are you based and how realistic is a place in Kent? I know a mother who assumed every child was automatically entered, so failed to enter her child, at all. After much screaming and pouting behind the scenes, the test was allowed to be taken late and the chi!d is now at grammar school.
silversixpence

Post by silversixpence »

A confirmation email was received but no further emails to say that the application had been unsubmitted or unregistered. I am not saying it is a conspiracy although it does seem bizarre.
Last edited by silversixpence on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

If you received a confirmation email and they can't prove that they also sent you an "unsubmitted" email then surely they don't have a leg to stand on. Send copies of what you have.
I don't have any knowledge of the Kent process but I don't see how they can deny your ds a chance at the exam if you have all the correct paper trails and could reasonably assume therefore that everything was in order.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Have you spoken to KCC yet?
silversixpence

Post by silversixpence »

Yes we were just offered option of naming the school on the CAF and then appealing later. We are hoping it can still be resolved before the test date.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now