Approximate percentage to pass CEM 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fingers crossed

Approximate percentage to pass CEM 11+

Post by fingers crossed »

Hi All

My DS is due to sit his 11+ in September in the Wirral area. I know that the standardised pass score is 236, the mean is 234 and the standard deviation is 15. My son will be 10 years and 11 months when he sits his papers, how would this translate roughly in to the percentage that he would need to be aiming for to pass? I am self tutoring as I did with my older son (DS1) but he sat his 11+ before it changed to CEM and DS2 does not seem to be scoring as highly on practise papers - starting to pull my hair out :(

Thanks in advance

Fingers Crossed :)
SAK1983

Re: Approximate percentage to pass CEM 11+

Post by SAK1983 »

Hi
My son is also sitting 11 Plus for the Wirral Schools on Monday 17th . CEM is all about performance against the cohort. Its difficult to identify a pass percentage, but roughly 65% to 70% should be a good score to get in practice tests.

I cant stress the importance of Mock tests as they get an experience of doing a test in Exam conditions. Hope you managed to have him sit for one. The last one in on 9th September.
fingers crossed

Hi SAK1983

Thanks for your reply! Where are the mock exams held? My eldest son had mocks tests at Calday the week before the tests but as it has now changed to CEM all of the test arrangements have changed.

Many Thanks :D
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

Hi
My eldest also goes to Calday. He is in year 11 now . You are right. They used to offer Mocks before moving to CEM.
Now you have to find a private tuition centre in Wirral who also conducts Mocks test. I will PM you the details as it will be seen as advertisement. My both sons are completely home tutored. We were quite relaxed with our eldest one, but with the younger one, there is more pressure as he wants to join the same school and especially the bus as his older brother.....
fingers crossed

Brilliant, thank you. Yes my eldest is also in Calday and is in Year 9 now and we are in exactly the same situation-his younger brother desperately wants to attend school and go on the bus with his brother. Both were completely home tutored but same again we were more relaxed with our older son and younger son seems to struggle more but I do think the CEM tests are more difficult than the GL tests. How is your son getting on with timing?
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

I can understand your situation. He is doing all right with his timings but he tends to get nervous . We noticed his nervousness on the mornings of mocks test days. I just hope he can take the pressure .
We used CGP books mostly . Actually bought the whole series of 9-10 and 10-11, 10 minute tests. We only started timing his tests in the last couple of months, as we wanted accuracy first.
fingers crossed

My DS is struggling with timing in the maths section so we will be fine tuning that over the next week. Do you know if the audio instructions during the tests give timing prompts i.e halfway, 1 minute left etc?

His results have been really up and down. Last week he did 2 papers and got an average of 89% but then sat 2 papers on Tuesday and averaged 67% (we’ve had lower too-in the 50’s) I just really don’t know which way it is going to go. He has absolutely no confidence as he has been terribly bullied for years so puts him self down all of the time saying he can’t do it :(
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Another Wirral mum here, my DD is sitting the Upton hall exam on Monday :shock: as well as the 11 plus on the 17th. Good luck to them all, I’ll be glad when it’s over.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very sad to hear that fingers crossed. I hope he can be strong on the day of the exam and prove to himself that he can do it.

Perhaps stop doing papers and get him to talk through maths problems with you rather than write them down. DG
fingers crossed

Daogroupie wrote:Very sad to hear that fingers crossed. I hope he can be strong on the day of the exam and prove to himself that he can do it.

Perhaps stop doing papers and get him to talk through maths problems with you rather than write them down. DG
That’s exactly what I did this evening Daogroupie. We sat down and had a really good confidence boosting conversation followed by talking through maths problems together. He then asked to do a short paper and scored 80% with time left :) Let’s hope this confidence stays!!