School choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
France25a

School choice

Post by France25a »

Our daughter is sitting the 11 plus on Saturday. She is bright and capable but anxious and easy stressed.
We are considering both KEHS and EHS for her. KEHS is probably a favourite but we are considered that it’s a bit of an exam hothouse. It gets excellent results but are the girls put under to much pressure to achieve? We would really appreciate views from parents at both KEHS and EHS. Many thanks.
JaneEyre

Re: School choice

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi France25a,

If you are French, you are welcome to pm me if you wish as I am also French and know quite a lot about Grammar schools and private schools in Birmingham. We could speak over the phone or meet up for a cuppa at some point as it is quicker to talk than to write. :D

Good luck for your DD on Saturday! :wink:

I also ask other participants on this forum to answer your question with their own views.
Opinions differ as well as experiences and children's profile :!:
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

France25a wrote:Our daughter is sitting the 11 plus on Saturday. She is bright and capable but anxious and easy stressed.
We are considering both KEHS and EHS for her. KEHS is probably a favourite but we are considered that it’s a bit of an exam hothouse. It gets excellent results but are the girls put under to much pressure to achieve? We would really appreciate views from parents at both KEHS and EHS. Many thanks.
Hi! Our daughter is in year 10 at KEHS. So far, we don’t feel she’s been put under much pressure from the school. Sometimes she feels the pressure of being surrounded by high achievers and she can feel a bit inadequate, but that’s something she needs to get to grips with in life as there will always be others who find things easier.

The school emphasises the bigger picture, extra-curricular activities are prioritised so it’s definitely not an exam factory. Parents are urged not to put pressure on girls.

I don’t know anything about EHS but I imagine it’s similar.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree with that. Definitely not an exam factory, I would say the pressure is far less than at grammar schools (daughter has just finished Y13 at KEHS). My perception is that the school works by encouraging the girls to develop high expectations of (and confidence in) themselves, not by trying to drive them to achieve. Pastoral care is particularly strong.

And, as I constantly harp on, there's a much wider subject choice at EHS and KEHS than state schools/colleges can now provide, thanks to a considerable legacy of political choices about state education (e.g. 6th form funding cuts).
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

I'd also echo that about KEHS. My dd is now in yr 8 and certainly hasn't felt any pressure.
Pastorly the school seem very good.
It doesn't feel like an exam factory at all, there's alot of extra-curricular to take part in and DD is extremely happy there.
France25a

Post by France25a »

Thank you so much for your replies. We really appreciate them.
KEHS is probably our first choice and it is certainly very impressive. Their results are SO good though that I can’t help but wonder how they achieve them........
Smaller class sizes of course have an effect and the teachers all seem very diligent and definitely know their stuff but that in itself cannot account for such a difference between for example, Five ways and KEHS.
Our daughter is very able but anxious and easily stressed and it is a huge concern of ours that she will struggle emotionally in a high pressure environment.
Thanks again for answering our questions and helping us try and work out what is best!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now