Wishing you all good luck on Saturday 8 Sept 2018!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OldTrout

Wishing you all good luck on Saturday 8 Sept 2018!

Post by OldTrout »

Dear All:

I so remember this week and the build up to the 11+. As a parent you can't help but feel the anticipation and you also will find that your child is coming home with stories about all the talk about the 11+. I know that I felt tense all that week into the exam for both of my girls.

It's a weird sort of time - starting a new school year and all that business and a big exam at the weekend.

I'm not perfect by any means - and I'm sure both my girls knew I was nervous for them - I wanted them to succeed and do well - but I knew it's a challenging exam.

My advice is for you:

Keep home life calm and happy this week.

Don't talk about the exam much. Don't cram or worry about last minute learning. Really - it should be about building up your child's confidence.

Review the instructions about filling in answers today or tomorrow - when you have the time/ space - rather than doing another practice paper or whatever.

Be organised: Get all the things you need for exam day - letter/ food/ knowledge of where you are going
Plan to arrive early - you will be amazed how many people are there (be prepared - warn your child a lot of people will be there)
Plan on heavy traffic around grammar schools
Make sure you pack a snack & water (and don't forget them - oh yes poor little fish went without a snack - I may never live down the shame).

The schools will give you information on where to pick up your child afterwards - usually organised alphabetically - so don't worry about where to meet up -
just make sure you understand from the person you hand your child over to at check-in for the exam what you do when you come to collect your child.

AFTERWARDS: Really can't urge you enough to remember that this is your last year with a young child who loves having you around. PLEASE, PLEASE -
no matter what the outcome of this exam process - really enjoy this year.

BE PROUD - what an amazing kid you have! They're so incredibly brave to sit this exam with all these kids! Celebrate that. Let them know that you
think they're fabulous for trying so hard, for all the hard work in the run-up to the exam, etc..... Let them know that all you expected was for them to
try their best - and you're so pleased they have.

QUE SERA - really can't stress this enough. It is much more helpful to you and your child to take the attitude you've done all you could and now
whatever will be, will be.

in case: There can be a temptation for children to say how easy the exam was afterwards. OK - I'm only one old thing and my circle of 10-11 year olds is limited -
but it has been my experience that those kids going on about how easy the exam was tend to be the kids that don't get in. I strongly urge you to
not allow yourself to make any grand pronouncements about how they've definitely got into a grammar and encourage your child to avoid this as well.

Saturday will be a big day - but I hope that the days after will be normal, fun and full of good memories that will last beyond this whole 11+ hooplah.

Wishing you all the very best of luck

OT
bewilderedofbearwood

Re: Wishing you all good luck on Saturday 8 Sept 2018!

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Thanks OT. The reassuring words of more experienced board members are very welcome. I don't post much on here as this is my first and only time of going through this process and I don't really have any words of wisdom. My DS has his first day back at school today and yesterday we tidied away all the clutter of his prep. He now just wants to get the test over and done with.

Good luck to all the DCs taking the test!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Good luck to everyone on Saturday.

Some sage advice from OT.

My top tip seems obvious, but allow enough time.
We got there early and my boys were sat early and relaxed - but then got moved last minute anyway. In that respect be prepared for last minute tweaks, which are to be expected.

I agree there is lots of playground chatter about how easy tests are, the prying of information etc. You can never tell how anybody has really done.

And then relax!
halsea

Post by halsea »

Good luck everyone. Thank you for all the tips and words of wisdom. I will be very glad when its over.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Wishing best of luck to everyone for Saturday.

My dd will be sitting it and I just can wait to relax and enjoy the coming school year regardless of results.

Great tips from OT, my one tip would be to tell dc to use the bathroom when break is given, even if they dont need it. A second quick tip would be to ask dc not to worry or lose concentration if someone starts to crying during exam ( teachers job etc).

thankyou all for great advice, support and help.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

OldTrout wrote:Dear All:

I so remember this week and the build up to the 11+. As a parent you can't help but feel the anticipation and you also will find that your child is coming home with stories about all the talk about the 11+. I know that I felt tense all that week into the exam for both of my girls.

It's a weird sort of time - starting a new school year and all that business and a big exam at the weekend.

I'm not perfect by any means - and I'm sure both my girls knew I was nervous for them - I wanted them to succeed and do well - but I knew it's a challenging exam.

My advice is for you:

Keep home life calm and happy this week.

Don't talk about the exam much. Don't cram or worry about last minute learning. Really - it should be about building up your child's confidence.

Review the instructions about filling in answers today or tomorrow - when you have the time/ space - rather than doing another practice paper or whatever.

Be organised: Get all the things you need for exam day - letter/ food/ knowledge of where you are going
Plan to arrive early - you will be amazed how many people are there (be prepared - warn your child a lot of people will be there)
Plan on heavy traffic around grammar schools
Make sure you pack a snack & water (and don't forget them - oh yes poor little fish went without a snack - I may never live down the shame).

The schools will give you information on where to pick up your child afterwards - usually organised alphabetically - so don't worry about where to meet up -
just make sure you understand from the person you hand your child over to at check-in for the exam what you do when you come to collect your child.

AFTERWARDS: Really can't urge you enough to remember that this is your last year with a young child who loves having you around. PLEASE, PLEASE -
no matter what the outcome of this exam process - really enjoy this year.

BE PROUD - what an amazing kid you have! They're so incredibly brave to sit this exam with all these kids! Celebrate that. Let them know that you
think they're fabulous for trying so hard, for all the hard work in the run-up to the exam, etc..... Let them know that all you expected was for them to
try their best - and you're so pleased they have.

QUE SERA - really can't stress this enough. It is much more helpful to you and your child to take the attitude you've done all you could and now
whatever will be, will be.

in case: There can be a temptation for children to say how easy the exam was afterwards. OK - I'm only one old thing and my circle of 10-11 year olds is limited -
but it has been my experience that those kids going on about how easy the exam was tend to be the kids that don't get in. I strongly urge you to
not allow yourself to make any grand pronouncements about how they've definitely got into a grammar and encourage your child to avoid this as well.

Saturday will be a big day - but I hope that the days after will be normal, fun and full of good memories that will last beyond this whole 11+ hooplah.

Wishing you all the very best of luck

OT
OldTrout, thank you so much for taking the time out to write such reassuring words. This is our first time and finding this forum has been such a blessing. I truely believe that is the effort that matters. What will be will be and at least my son had the courage to try. There are many around us- that were discourage by the process and never applied to sit. In hindsight, it might of been better to start in year 4 of gentle prep, but there is nothing I can do now. Oh well! Deep breath for us all and let's stay positive :)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

adhdad wrote:Wishing best of luck to everyone for Saturday.

My dd will be sitting it and I just can wait to relax and enjoy the coming school year regardless of results.

Great tips from OT, my one tip would be to tell dc to use the bathroom when break is given, even if they dont need it. A second quick tip would be to ask dc not to worry or lose concentration if someone starts to crying during exam ( teachers job etc).

thankyou all for great advice, support and help.

Thank you for the great tips and all the best to your daughter too :)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Ricky74 wrote:Good luck to everyone on Saturday.

Some sage advice from OT.

My top tip seems obvious, but allow enough time.
We got there early and my boys were sat early and relaxed - but then got moved last minute anyway. In that respect be prepared for last minute tweaks, which are to be expected.

I agree there is lots of playground chatter about how easy tests are, the prying of information etc. You can never tell how anybody has really done.

And then relax!
Thank you for such great tip, we are a last 'minute.com' family and for this test- I think it will be best to make a quick trip there tomorrow during rush hour and plan parking and so on.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

All the best to our children for Saturday! Sending lots of smiles your way :)
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Great advice OldTrout thank you and good luck everyone fingers crossed for all our little ones! Whatever will be will be.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now