Exams2018

What to take to the exam?

Post by Exams2018 »

Here is my list.

1. Pencils, erasers and sharpener in a transparent case
2. Water bottle (without labels)
3. A couple of small snacks (nut free)
4. Wrist watch

Do we need to take the letter that came in the post?
Also, is there anything I missed?

Our registration is at 820am. The test finishes at 12:45!! What to give for breakfast? I’m thinking porridge and an omelette and then a nice large chocolate muffin just before she goes in. Sounds ok?
daddyof3

Re: What to take to the exam?

Post by daddyof3 »

Our DC will also be sitting the test on Saturday. We are starting to feel nervous now (we have been calm up until this point).

Are watches allowed?

I'm sure the muffin will go down well.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Exams2018 wrote:Here is my list.

4. Wrist watch

Our registration is at 820am. The test finishes at 12:45!! What to give for breakfast? I’m thinking porridge and an omelette and then a nice large chocolate muffin just before she goes in. Sounds ok?
You seem to have posted this before (except now added the breakfast element) and got some good answers. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =5&t=55164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When DD did the Kent test a few years ago the instructioms of what to take were very clear so refer to those. I can’t remember and it also may have changed. For breakfast she had it quite early as we then had to drive a fair distance. Nothing sugary as you get a crash after eating. She had a banana in the registration queue. It ended up a late finish and it was 1.45 or thereabouts before she came out. She was ravenous - as well as really wanting the toilet, no girls toilets in a boys school and you can imagine the queue for the disabled toilet with hundreds of girls!
salsa

Post by salsa »

My children were allowed a watch in Kent. They were told not to have alarms, but my eldest reported that some alarms went off!

The rest should be in your letter, which you should take to the venue for registration.
Salsa
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

PettswoodFiona wrote:

4. Wrist watch

You seem to have posted this before (except now added the breakfast element) and got some good answers. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =5&t=55164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When DD did the Kent test a few years ago the instructioms of what to take were very clear so refer to those. I can’t remember and it also may have changed. For breakfast she had it quite early as we then had to drive a fair distance. Nothing sugary as you get a crash after eating. She had a banana in the registration queue. It ended up a late finish and it was 1.45 or thereabouts before she came out. She was ravenous - as well as really wanting the toilet, no girls toilets in a boys school and you can imagine the queue for the disabled toilet with hundreds of girls!
Fiona, I posted earlier in “General” forum. I asked here again for Kent specific inputs.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

4. Wrist watch

Your list is good, just to tell you for Kent students Pencil, eraser, sharpner etc was provided by school inside the exam hall and she was not allowed to take the transparent case. We sent our daughter with the transparent pouch but she was told that she will be provided these inside and was not allowed to carry her pouch.

I do not know abt out of Kent students taking the test tomorrow, but when my son did few years ago as out of Kent our list was similar to yours. Would suggest you go with your list but ask you kid to be flexible and follow what is told/instructed. Give light snack as after a heavy/sugary food it will be difficult to concentrate. All the best

KD
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Basic watches allowed. Typically the exam hall has one as well. But better to have own watch (suggest a digital one so that it is easier). I hope your kid has been using it to time during preparation and used to it. Good luck.
daddyof3 wrote:Our DC will also be sitting the test on Saturday. We are starting to feel nervous now (we have been calm up until this point).

Are watches allowed?

I'm sure the muffin will go down well.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

You may have missed it as it was on the back sheet, but they have suggested bringing a reading book for the Kent test. I'm guessing to stop children being bored in case of any delays. Also they need to wear school uniform. (Extra identification and to put the kids in a school frame of mind?) They say no multifunction watches which implies normal watches are fine so my child will be wearing theirs. We've doubled up on pens and pencils and added a pencil sharpener to the pencil case. He will bring his packed lunch too as suggested, as half a sandwich would probably be a good choice for break time.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Thanks all.

One more question, is she allowed to take a bag with her? She has a simple tote type Disney bag, perfect size to contain everything.
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Oh no just browsing through this page and realise that there is a letter from Kent but I hadn't received that letter. I just got an email about the venue and time but no letter in the post at all. I assumed that they were so inundated this year that they didn't send a letter, how silly I was! What shall I do now? (Last minute panic)