Stationery

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rugbymumto2

Re: Stationery

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

This was the same problem 2 years ago at the Benn Hall. I had taken a pencil and rubber in a clear plastic bag and DD was allowed to take them in, she said there were only a few rubbers for the whole hall and she had put hers in the middle of the shared desk so that the boy on there could use it too. Definitely get it logged, it is ridiculous that they can't get something so basic correct!
Hopeful18

Post by Hopeful18 »

Mumofgirls I just started a thread which reads so similar to yours, then have been signposted to yours. My daughter took it at LS sixth form and this was exactly the same issue. However, we knew children taking it at LS student support centre(or resource centre-not sure name exactly but the other building at LS) in the afternoon and they all had individual rubbers! I also wondered at first whether I shouldn’t worry about it however, when timing is so important then I think it is an issue. My daughter said one poor boy had had his hand up for so long that by the time he got the rubber the time had run out. All you want for your child is for all pupils to be on an equal footing when they take the exam but this doesn’t allow for that. I too will contact Warwickshire admissions.
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

Hopeful18 wrote:Mumofgirls I just started a thread which reads so similar to yours, then have been signposted to yours. My daughter took it at LS sixth form and this was exactly the same issue. However, we knew children taking it at LS student support centre(or resource centre-not sure name exactly but the other building at LS) in the afternoon and they all had individual rubbers! I also wondered at first whether I shouldn’t worry about it however, when timing is so important then I think it is an issue. My daughter said one poor boy had had his hand up for so long that by the time he got the rubber the time had run out. All you want for your child is for all pupils to be on an equal footing when they take the exam but this doesn’t allow for that. I too will contact Warwickshire admissions.
I’m really sorry to hear that your daughter has had the same experience as mine, the more I think about it the more frustrated I become. I’ll post on here when I receive a reply from admissions, it would be useful to see if we get the same response. What I’m feeling most concerned about is if we need to raise it at an appeal as that seems to involve gathering academic evidence and sounds extremely complicated all because of something that could have been so easily avoided.
Olog08

Post by Olog08 »

My son sat his test on Sunday morning at RHS. I’ve just asked him about this and he said they also weren’t provided with an eraser each and had to raise their hands too. He also said that they were then collected at the end of each timed section if you left them on your desk.
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

**long time lurker - first time poster**

I have discovered this problem with rubbers as well. Morning session at LS 6th form centre. I have sent an email to register the issue. I am disappointed to say the least. My daughter tells me she did not ask for the rubber as she was worried it would take too long and she left questions knowing she would have liked to change her answer.
Hopeful18

Post by Hopeful18 »

The more I read other people’s experiences, the more I think it is a big issue. It will be interesting to see what responses people get with emails. To be honest LS 6 form in morning didn’t seem that great. My daughter said there were some children still writing after the time and others who’d clearly turned paper over and reading questions before they should. Surely if she saw this then invigilators should have been watching. I’m not impressed with the organisation of it at all.
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

It all just sounds like an absolute shambles doesn’t it, I can’t fathom it, they do this year after year how can something so fundamental be forgotten?
madrigal1965

Post by madrigal1965 »

Can I ask if this was the LS morning session on the Sat or Sun?
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

Ok so I’ve received a reply and am even more frustrated by their reasoning, please can I ask for any advice/ guidance about how to proceeed with a complaint and what information to include. Many thanks:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the 11+ testing that was carried out on the weekend of 8th and 9th September.

However, please let me confirm that it is not stipulated in either your 11+ invitation letter or the online 2019 entry 11+ Familiarisation paper that a rubber will be provided to each child, only that they will have access to a rubber, if this is required at any point during the test.

Part of the reason for taking the decision not to allocate a rubber to each individual child is related to the very quick pace of the 11+ test that is used in Warwickshire. We want the children to utilise every second of the time available to them, and so did not want to encourage children to spend unnecessary amounts of time rubbing out any mistakes if a rubber was freely available.

A sufficient amount of rubbers were made available at every venue so that one would be accessible to any child as and when they needed it. If required, they would only have needed to raise their hand and an invigilator would have assisted them. This would not have prevented them from carrying on answering other questions whilst they were waiting to be assisted.

Additionally, please also let me reassure you that there is no expectation that the children will finish every question within the test papers, and this is not required in order to obtain the required academic standard to be considered for a place at a Warwickshire grammar school.

I hope the above information reassures you that the 11+ testing process has been carried out consistently but if you do wish to escalate this matter then you can make a formal complaint online, through our website: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/complaints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Mumofgirls wrote:However, please let me confirm that it is not stipulated in either your 11+ invitation letter or the online 2019 entry 11+ Familiarisation paper that a rubber will be provided to each child, only that they will have access to a rubber, if this is required at any point during the test.
Very much depends on your definition of "access". If a child has to wait for a rubber, rather than being able to just reach one on a desk, then I'm not sure that's really what most of us would understand by "access".
Mumofgirls wrote:Part of the reason for taking the decision not to allocate a rubber to each individual child is related to the very quick pace of the 11+ test that is used in Warwickshire. We want the children to utilise every second of the time available to them, and so did not want to encourage children to spend unnecessary amounts of time rubbing out any mistakes if a rubber was freely available.
TOTES WEIRD. "All children shall have "access" to a rubber but in case they are tempted to spend time using the rubber we shall limit the "access" for their own good." So instead of wasting time rubbing out, the children waste time waiting for a rubber AND rubbing out.

I think they know they've made a mistake in this and they're flinging all sorts of arguments at you, some of them contradictory, in the hope that some of them will stick.

Good luck.