What are our chances??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mintxy

What are our chances??

Post by mintxy »

So today my daughter took the mock test- she said she found it relativley easy but she is very aware of Thursday being a different ballgame!
Taking the 11+ is completley her decision.... Ive just come along for the ride; I think she may have delusions of grandeur !! but I have done very little research and am now starting to panic! she is also in for the berks on sat.
firstly I wonder what are our chances even if she does pass? the closest is Burnh grammer.... 19 miles away (id drive it with no problem) but how does this look on allocations?
secondly does anyone know how many kids actually pass this? Im sure this has been covered before but We are now knee deep in NVR books.... trying not to freak her out! help!!
Tinkers

Re: What are our chances??

Post by Tinkers »

Here are the previous years’ allocations. It doesn’t look as though Burnham is a goer I’m afraid.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About 30% qualify In the Bucks Test.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Sorry but you have left it way way too late to be asking these questions!

Your DD really shouldn't be doing anything right now apart from relaxing.

As far as your chances for a Bucks Grammar is concerned i'll leave it to the experts to answer that one but I will say that you stand a zero chance as they are all catchment which is shrinking every year!
Is that 19 miles a straight line measurement?

How far are you from Slough as 3 of the 4 Grammars now have a 'catchment' as such and then will go on rank score so she'll need a high score!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I had A closer look at the allocations.
If Burnham is your closest Bucks School and it’s 19 miles ‘as the crow flies’ then it looks like you have no chance of any Bucks GS at all. Sorry to be blunt, but if that’s the case, there really is no point your DD taking the test.

If it’s 19 miles driving distance, then check what the actual as the crow flies distance is and look again at the allocations.

Given your distance to Burnham and its proximity to Slough, you had best check the allocations for those schools (these are here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Also check the journey is going to be a reasonably easy one as I suspect not.

(I realised after I posted that I’m only 13 miles from Burnham and I live in Reading.)
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

Thanks for the advice, we are in catchment for langley..... This whole process has been quite relaxed for us as we are treating it as an option; its not something we are pinning every hope on! Im of the mindset that If she passes then she is good enough to cope with the pressures if she doesnt then we certainly wont be devastated! I just wanted to gauge a simple answer to the distance issue.... there is so much to trawl through on here!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a waste of time for her to sit the Bucks test. I would suggest that you withdraw and take that pressure off.
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

Ive just checked and we are 8.1 miles as the crow flies..... does this make it better?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

mintxy wrote:Ive just checked and we are 8.1 miles as the crow flies..... does this make it better?
If you check the allocations table on the link I’ve posted above, you’ll see that would have been borderline.

Those in Bucks know better, but I know locally there’s an increase in numbers of DCs in this cohort generally, so I’d expect the allocation distances to shrink a little.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are too far away ...
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

She is still convinced that she wants to take it..... and TBH i dont think it can do any harm , thanks for all of your advice!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now