What are our chances??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mintxy

Re: What are our chances??

Post by mintxy »

She knows its tough..... but near zero is not zero and.... our neighbour goes there so there is hope!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What year is that person in? You think 0.1% chance is worth it?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

mintxy wrote:But I never said we wouldn't take the place? in fact we would relish it; so if she makes the top 30% where is the harm? are you suggesting the less kids take the test the better it is for residents of Bucks? so that makes those out of selection areas the ones who are deprived doesn't it?
It's true that if fewer children from outside the allocation distances take the test it is better for Bucks residents and those on the borders of neighbouring counties within typical allocation distances. As for who is deprived, that's a more complex argument. Take the following two example situations:

Family A, similar to your situation, live in a neighbouring county, can try for a Bucks grammar school place but in the event of non-qualification or non-allocation, has a good comprehensive option nearby.

Family B, live in Bucks and in the event of non-qualification or non-allocation, has a choice of perhaps two upper schools deemed to be Requiring Improvement by Ofsted.

Which situation would you rather be in? Which family is relatively more deprived of good choices? Perhaps you can see why some Bucks parents resent those that seek to grasp the good parts of the Bucks system without entertaining the risk of those that are not so good.
Last edited by anotherdad on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I’m just saddened their is no care or thought for Bucks kids. It’s a Bucks test for Bucks kids. I’m sure you would feel different if the shoe was on the other foot. It’s the selfishness that I find quite appalling when parents with similar views post on here.
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

Im actually quite saddened to see some of these comments.... you are assuming that our other options are good and that I have no thought for other children! I get it.... You are lucky enough to live in a selective area; I am not so lucky; our other options are not good and I have a bright child who wants a chance to shine; after all isnt that what its all about? I was equally shocked to see the amount of children today who were less than enthusiastic about the whole process; yes they might pass after extensive tutoring but do they want it? thats questionable.... I know who I would rather have as a classmate! someone who is eager to learn and do their best. I cant see anywhere written that this test is a Bucks test for Bucks kids! its open to all.... we will take our chances!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

My comments were intended to give you some background to the Bucks test and the nuances of it, in response to your own admission that you'd "come along for the ride" and had done "very little research". You asked what your chances are and were told: very slim, and you asked about the effect on Bucks children and were told. I'm not sure what you expect other than honesty?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

If your local options aren't good, have you considered moving? It's a bit late for Bucks unless you can move very quickly but this is why some research a year ago would have been helpful. You do have to accept that being "lucky enough" to live in a selective county is a mixed blessing. In Aylesbury for example, about 80% of eleven year olds will start at a school that Requires Improvement.

"You've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya?"
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

Support? I have been trying not to be pushy, when she decided a short time ago that she wanted this, I decided to let her try and get herself there hence “coming along for the ride” as Im aware of the competition. I didnt mean it to sound flippant but rather I have not driven this, Its her choice to do it and she sees it as a chance to be with others who value hard work. Today made me realise what she is up against and I was just looking for some suportive advice, but yet I have been met with “move to bucks If I want a slice of the pie”, being called selfish and even questioning my intelligence! Its a truly unfair system and I totally understand the resentment but all I was really asking for was some figures on our chances; which some have been kind enough to provide
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

Sorry I dont know how to reply to individual posts; I have considered moving Yes but this is not an option; I have caring responsibilities; Its just not viable; If it was then I would move in a heartbeat!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Quote "...she sees it as a chance to be with others who value hard work..."

I have no horse in this race, mintxy, as I am not in Bucks and my children are well past 11+. I am not a fan of exam tourism in any county, however, especially if it involves significant travel/travel time, precluding a child from fully embracing everything the school has to offer.

However, it is your statement above that worries me most - please do stress to your daughter that this is NOT necessarily true of GS and if this is what she thinks then she may need to temper it back a bit. As you have said yourself, there are a number of children "forced" into it by parents - they may have received significant tutoring (either with a tutor or DIY at home) and actually, when they get to the school, don't want to be there, or cannot cope, when they are expected to think for themselves. Equally there are a lot of children disadvantaged by the system - either unfamiliar with the test format and parents not rich enough, in money terms to pay for a tutor, or in language/ability terms, to help them at home. They may be a local child displaced by an exam tourist, so unable to access a place; they may be a child who got very nervous and didn't do so well on the day, despite being top table etc etc....lots of reasons why you do still get children who value hard work, NOT in a GS and, the flip side that you DO get children there who do NOT value hard work - and, actually, can have significant behavioural issues because of it! Remember hard work does NOT NECESSARILY equate to high grades.

If you want to reply to an individual post, press the quote button on that post (at the bottom right hand corner of the individual post) - you can then edit it to choose just a part of it, or the whole thing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now