What are our chances??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blue_Marigold

Re: What are our chances??

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Whether you decide to let your DD sit the Bucks 11+ tomorrow (or not) is your prerogative but please put the NVR books away now! It’s not going to help her at this stage and will just stress her out.
mintxy

Post by mintxy »

I do feel I've been misunderstood a bit here. When I said I have done little research I meant into the actual statistics of pass rates of certain schools; of course I have made sure the journey was realistic even with my responsibilities. And yes of course I have looked into the schools and how they would suit her academically, socially and pastorally. When I said I think she has delusions of grandeur I don't mean I think she wont pass.... I mean she has a strong desire to succeed in EVERY venture in life (which as we all know is impossible).

I have taken note of all your comments and I understand the frustrations but to imply I'm the least supportive parent on the forum is just plain naïve. I may not have been a pushy parent for the past 3 years; I have let her come to her own conclusion; I'm not being dragged there I will support her choice fully and guide her however I can. I simply looked to this forum for a bit of information and guidance on our statistical chances; and it has created multiple pages of negativity. I wonder how many others from OOA are doing the same thing (I met at least 3 on Tuesday- and only spoke to 4 people) and I can almost guarantee they would not be open enough to admit it on this forum- especially not now!
I'm sorry you all feel this way I really am; I wish this system was different but it isn't and we are all just trying to get the best chances for our children are we not?

I wont go into detail of why my daughter feels Burnham is the best for her but she has reasons and they are very justifiable; even if I did continue this thread I would only be subject to more negative comments and persuasion's for why I should pull her out of something she wants to try for. I'm sure you understand that my job as her mum is to support her decisions- even if that means supporting her through the disappointment of non allocation.

I understand this is a tough time for all of us and its stressful enough without having to be made to feel bad just for asking a few questions!

Sharing is caring afterall
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Which is very different from the statement you initially made:

I have done very little research

So perhaps you can understand people’s confusion, as well as their frustrations?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

None of the people that responded are 'competing' with you for places - their children are long past 11+.

Your 'choice' potentially means a lack of choice for two Bucks children who have no other options open to them. There are no comprehensives in Bucks just Secondary Moderns and the one in Burnham is in Special Measures at the moment.
Mazzer123

Post by Mazzer123 »

We as parents all want the best for our children. I wish your daughter best wishes for tomorrow. I was in your position a year ago, living just outside Bucks, and not sure if I had made the right decision to enter my daughter for the exam. She was very keen to sit and had researched exam and school well. She sat, qualified, got her first choice and absolutely loves her new high school so I know I made the right decision. We only 'just' got in on distance, however my daughter leaves home (getting public transport) well after her friends have to catch the school buses. I don't go on this forum regularly but when I have done, I feel a lot of criticism and negativity towards genuine people looking for support. Best wishes for all children siting exams this week x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catchments do go outside the county boundary and I've got no issue with people in catchment applying.

The problem is children with long journeys don't tend to take part in any school activities and their parents rarely support PTAs or other functions. They have been known to fall asleep in class ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

We all know the arguments about children taking the test from out-of-area, but I don't feel that today, the eve of the test, is an appropriate time to be berating anyone for their decision (or their child's decision) to go through with it.

I have therefore temporarily locked this thread.

mintxy, if you wish me to reopen it to obtain further information, please send me a PM (Private Message), or start a new thread with other questions yourself.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now