Ashlawn MFL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GSHopeful

Ashlawn MFL

Post by GSHopeful »

Sorry if I’m repeating anything but I can’t find any more recent threads than 2016 for the AWS for the MFL test as a guide? Does anyone know anything or have any experience?
Fatnorville

Re: Ashlawn MFL

Post by Fatnorville »

My daughter sat this last year, so yes, we have experience of this test.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Sorry that should have said AQS. How did you know if your score was high enough for a place?
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

In short, you don't know you have a place until allocation day....but then you don't know that you have a grammar school place until allocation day.

You get an absolute score and you are told the percentile for that score compared to the entire cohort group. Again, like the 11+, the absolute score is less important than the percentile or standardised score as this ranks you in terms of the entire cohort group.

Information is available through WCC and this forum on previous years 11+ AQS score and that will give you an idea of what the 11+ AQS might be this year. I have never seen similar information available for the MFL. You may be able to have a chat with Ashlawn once you get your score, and they might offer an opinion whether the percentile position puts you in with a shout of a place.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you very much for the helpful insight. I’ll wait and see and perhaps phone the school then after results are out. x
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

So many children for just 25 places!!!!
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Fatnorville wrote:In short, you don't know you have a place until allocation day....but then you don't know that you have a grammar school place until allocation day.

You get an absolute score and you are told the percentile for that score compared to the entire cohort group. Again, like the 11+, the absolute score is less important than the percentile or standardised score as this ranks you in terms of the entire cohort group.

Information is available through WCC and this forum on previous years 11+ AQS score and that will give you an idea of what the 11+ AQS might be this year. I have never seen similar information available for the MFL. You may be able to have a chat with Ashlawn once you get your score, and they might offer an opinion whether the percentile position puts you in with a shout of a place.
I have just found our Ashlawn MFL letter. It does contain the AQS for the previous year in addition to the information above.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you that’s useful to know. There were two but possibly three sittings yesterday of about 240 kids per sitting - all for 25 places. It was crazy! Out of interest did your child pass comment on the difficulty of the test? Many left the hall saying it was easy?
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

It was really busy yesterday. Does anyone know what happens if, for example, you get 50 kids with the same top score? Unlikely I know, but with so many taking the test, I expect there will be more than 25 who get high marks.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Seraphina wrote:It was really busy yesterday. Does anyone know what happens if, for example, you get 50 kids with the same top score? Unlikely I know, but with so many taking the test, I expect there will be more than 25 who get high marks.
Remember a lot of the DC you saw at the MFL test also took the 11+ and I dare say a lot of those will be offered grammar places.

It is still difficult getting into Ashlawn. However the odds aren't as bad as the raw numbers perhaps suggest.