Best area to live for proximity to prep& King Edward schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ForwardThinker4

Best area to live for proximity to prep& King Edward schools

Post by ForwardThinker4 »

Hi,

We are going to be moving house and I think it would make sense for us to live where there is a good prep school, but is also within reasonable distance from all the King Edwards schools (grammar and independent), as we don't know which our children will be attending (if they should gain a place). That way we are set for the long term.

I am thinking Edgbaston/Harborne as it is close to The Blue Coat School and Hallfield. Does anyone have any experience of these? Are there any significantly better prep schools I am missing? In addition, Edgbaston and Harborne don't seem overly far from the vast majority of the King Edwards schools, and also seem like nice areas of what I know, but again I welcome your thoughts.
quasimodo

Re: Best area to live for proximity to prep& King Edward sch

Post by quasimodo »

ForwardThinker4 wrote:Hi,

We are going to be moving house and I think it would make sense for us to live where there is a good prep school, but is also within reasonable distance from all the King Edwards schools (grammar and independent), as we don't know which our children will be attending (if they should gain a place). That way we are set for the long term.

I am thinking Edgbaston/Harborne as it is close to The Blue Coat School and Hallfield. Does anyone have any experience of these? Are there any significantly better prep schools I am missing? In addition, Edgbaston and Harborne don't seem overly far from the vast majority of the King Edwards schools, and also seem like nice areas of what I know, but again I welcome your thoughts.
https://www.isc.co.uk/schools/england/w ... irmingham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are others on the list you could consider.Those with better knowledge will be able to give you more detail.I would suggest West House and Norfolk House are worth looking at from my own experience and what others have told me.I know Norfolk House has a new headteacher from this September.She was the former deputy head at Mayfield Prep in Walsall and head of Maths and had really taken the maths to another level.She will be a loss to that school.

In terms of areas to live in those are as central as you could be to the schools you are considering and central to the heart of the business areas and transport links in the centre of Birmingham.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Raych

Post by Raych »

St Martins school, eversfield, Ruckleigh and Solihull school are very good if you have girls I would recommend St Martins
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Raych wrote:St Martins school, eversfield, Ruckleigh and Solihull school are very good if you have girls I would recommend St Martins
Living in Solihull isn't very convenient for the KE grammars or independents though - except for maybe Camp Hill.

I would say Edgbaston/Harborne/Bearwood is the ideal area to live as there are green buses from here to all the KE grammars, as well as Queen Mary's in Walsall. There's also public buses to the Camp Hill and Handsworth schools. If you're on the right side, you can take the train from University or Five Ways up to the Sutton Coldfield grammars too and to Aston.

I can't think of anywhere else with so many selective schools in easy travel distance. The downside for some is that there aren't many good state comprehensives. However, the poster is looking at independent schools, so if they miss out on KE there are other options in Edgbaston too - EHS, The Priory etc.