Salisbury

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Salisbury

Post by mystery »

So, some papers say, the bottle that had maybe survived since March and was used as perfume spray by Dawn, was then handed to Charlie and it fell apart in his hands. And he says he does not know or cannot remember where he or Dawn found it in the first place. They now think they know the names of who did it. So, if that's true, maybe this latest sad disaster has actually led to some useful new info.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Awful and, as ever, deeply puzzling.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... lie-rowley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think it's irresponsible for ITV and Mr Rowley to have conducted and published the interview. This is a complex and very serious case and banding details around isn't going to help the authorities in their investigations.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I agree. The only positive thing is that it was quite difficult avoiding front doors before whereas perfume is less of a necessity.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Apparently the suspects were just tourists visiting Salisbury Cathedral. I mean, we've all done it, haven't we? Taken a 2,000 mile trip to see a cathedral in an unremarkable foreign town, turned around and gone home again the next day. Oh, and accidentally just happen to wander down the street where a retired secret agent lives. I know I have.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I've just watched the video interview where one of the suspects recites some wonderful facts about the cathedral. If I were the local tourist board, I'd be running that as an advert.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

anotherdad wrote:Apparently the suspects were just tourists visiting Salisbury Cathedral. I mean, we've all done it, haven't we? Taken a 2,000 mile trip to see a cathedral in an unremarkable foreign town, turned around and gone home again the next day. Oh, and accidentally just happen to wander down the street where a retired secret agent lives. I know I have.
:lol: :lol: :lol: oh yes and Fisherton Street has got a lovely coin shop and a super clock shop. would travel across Europe to see those. yeh right and you have a pretty naff sense of direction as the cathedral is in a totally different direction from the railway station to the cul-de-sac that the Skripals lived in... :? :?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

hermanmunster wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh yes and Fisherton Street has got a lovely coin shop and a super clock shop. would travel across Europe to see those. yeh right and you have a pretty naff sense of direction as the cathedral is in a totally different direction from the railway station to the cul-de-sac that the Skripals lived in... :? :?
Yes, I looked at google maps. So these two "tourists" couldn't make their way 0.7 miles to the cathedral they'd flown thousands of miles to see because of the heavy snow everywhere, but managed to accidentally wander over a mile in the opposite direction and stumble into the very street that an ex Russian agent happens to live in.

I do have to remind myself that people were made seriously ill and one person died as a consequence of this because it's such a bad alibi it's comical. I am amazed that the authorities didn't put some more thought into their story. Watching the interview with them, their translator is pretty much reading, word for word, the wikipedia entry for the cathedral.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I was down Hampshire / Wiltshire way that Sunday (and no I didn't see any Russians) and there was v little snow about - far less than in Yorkshire :wink: . Also I know the area he lived in - not a place you accidentally get to from the station - not least because the cathedral has the enormous spire (that the russians knew all about ) and you can't really miss it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I wonder if anyone has any views on the relative international/domestic response to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi - its proportionality when compared with the Novichok incident, for example, and the reasons behind it, with special reference to the war in Yemen? Personally I think there are a lot of interesting observations to be made around the framing of these two incidents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now