What To Take Away?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

What To Take Away?

Post by doodles »

So we have just over a week before we head up the M1 with DS1, very mixed emotions here as we will miss him desperately but in the same breath we are excited for him.

We are looking into insurance and the tv licence etc and on a practical side we have the usual things on the list, clothes, kitchen equipment (self catering), bedding etc etc, but what are the "must have mustn't forgets" that you would advise from experience?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tinkers

Re: What To Take Away?

Post by Tinkers »

I take it you looked through this already and asking about other stuff not already mentioned.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 58&t=48100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yes, I had a swizz through there and picked up some good ideas, collapsible boxes being one, but then a friend mentioned a door-wedge so there must be other things he's missing.

We have supplied him with quite a generous gift card for his preferred coffee chain so he can treat himself occasionally and the same for what will be his local supermarket so I know he will eat (or drink) :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mad?

Post by mad? »

Check what equipment the kitchen will have first. DD2's has none so she picked up the student box from Ikea and I am really impressed with its contents/price. Bunting, fairy lights (battery powered), pretty pins for the pin board and a nice bin were priorities here ( :roll: ) but also I suggest a desk light if the room does not have one and a laundry bag/basket. If there is space those plastic underbed storage boxes are good. Overdoor hangers are good and a throw for the bed so that well all his mates spill their beer on it the duvet cover stays clean :wink: Good luck doodles.
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks mad? the hall has only been built this summer so nobody can really tell us what will be in it. Luckily there is an Ikea right in the centre of the city so he can easily get things like a bin, a notice board and a desk lamp if he needs them and any kitchen bits that are missing.

The overdoor things are a good idea and the bed throw, the list is getting longer!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS's didn't have a kettle or toaster last year so check - then maybe he can collaborate with his flat mates, rather than taking 6 kettles & toasters. Also usually there is no plate drainer or washing up bowl (don't imagine it will be top of his priorities). DD took some games - cards, pass the pigs, Pit.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You don't need to buy a door wedge - any heavy object will do.
Do check what the halls provides and what they allow; some ban fairy lights of all description.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If there is space, a collapsible clothes airer might be a good idea for drying towels/clothes etc!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

And some don't permit doors to be wedged open, either. If they do permit it, a piece of folded card does the trick, or you can do what everyone in my old company used to do on hot days: prop open the fire doors with the extinguishers. :roll:
KB

Post by KB »

Do they have somewhere parcels can be delivered to? We took less and less for each subsequent DC and then sent things they actually required.

Most new halls provide electrical items in the kitchen and dont allow extras.

Check the size of the bed - some are small doubles or extra long.

Dont take too much kitchen stuff - they may only have one small cupboard.

A sealable box for any food or drink treats to keep in bedroom is handy - speciality tea bags easily 'walk' as do chocolate biscuits....

Do they have an ensuite? If not then plastic flip flops for the shower etc. And a small basket/ bucket for toiletries. Loo roll ( might end up taking your own back and forth)

If ensuite, check if shower rail and curtain supplied.

Coat hangers.
Door mat for wet/muddy shoes to dry on.

Check what kind of power extension sockets are permitted.

Cushions to make it more comfy sitting on the bed.

Room freshner :)

Something to attach various key cards etc to one's person - various options available.

Suitable footwear and clothing if travelling very far north :) sounds daft but one DC had girls turn up with slip on 'pumps' and flimsy jackets. Not good when the first snows hit. Hopefully yours has more common sense!

Be thinking of you. By the last one I wasn't allowed to go. Not good at hiding emotions..