Unwell during exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daphnedm

Unwell during exam

Post by daphnedm »

My son gave the 11+ exam yesterday. He was fine going in. After coming out he complained that he developed a severe headache at the beginning of the second paper. He somehow finished it but spent the last 10 minutes 'resting' as he was in pain. He developed a cold later in the evening and has a full blown cold after getting up today. After doing some frantic googling this morning I realised he should have told someone. He did not bring this to the attention of the invigilator, he has ASD and would rather suffer than talk to someone he does not know, even if it is a teacher. I had not prepared him for this scenario as it was completely unexpected. Both of us are really upset that this has happened at the last minute after all the hard-work of the past one year. Looking at the amount of pain and discomfort he was in, I am quite certain that his performance would have suffered. We are in the catchment of a Bucks grammar school with very good pastoral care. Any advice please, feel very sad and helpless. :(
anotherdad

Re: Unwell during exam

Post by anotherdad »

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Your first course of action should be to contact the school to let them know what's happened so they can record it formally. As to what might happen next, all you can do is wait until the result is known and assess your options then. Should your son not qualify, there are review and appeal processes available. If you elect to pursue one of those routes, that is when you can refer to the circumstances of the test but be aware that a panel will make their judgement on academic evidence and closeness to the qualifying score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry OP, I'm confused. You say you are in catchment but that he did not know the invigilator so does that mean your child does not attend a Bucks Primary school?
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

Yes, we are just over the border so not in Bucks.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Have a look through the appeals section on this site. It might seem a little pessimistic to be doing so but if you think non-qualification is likely, it helps to understand the processes and options in advance rather than having to frantically get to grips with them in the days after the results. There will be lots of people on here at that time so being prepared will help if you need it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is he off school today? Is he unwell enough to go to a doctor?
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

anotherdad wrote:Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Your first course of action should be to contact the school to let them know what's happened so they can record it formally. As to what might happen next, all you can do is wait until the result is known and assess your options then. Should your son not qualify, there are review and appeal processes available. If you elect to pursue one of those routes, that is when you can refer to the circumstances of the test but be aware that a panel will make their judgement on academic evidence and closeness to the qualifying score.
Thanks anotherdad. I will contact the school. Just trying to hold it together.
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

Guest55 wrote:Is he off school today? Is he unwell enough to go to a doctor?
He is off school. Not taken him to a doctor as no fever yet. But he has a severe cold and didn't sleep most of the night.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

daphnedm wrote:
He is off school. Not taken him to a doctor as no fever yet. But he has a severe cold and didn't sleep most of the night.
If it isn't recorded anywhere you won't be able to use it in an appeal
scary mum
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

scary mum wrote:
daphnedm wrote:
If it isn't recorded anywhere you won't be able to use it in an appeal
Do you recommend that I take him to a doctor today just so it gets officially recorded ? I feel a bit guilty of going to the doctor for what seems to be a bad cold/headache (as of now) and know I am going to be given calpol+rest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now