Negative Marking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chr1s

Negative Marking

Post by chr1s »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the tests are negatively marked? Am asking as since it's multiple choice, it makes sense to put an answer for everything even if it's a guess when time is running out.

Thanks in advance!
ToadMum

Re: Negative Marking

Post by ToadMum »

chr1s wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if the tests are negatively marked? Am asking as since it's multiple choice, it makes sense to put an answer for everything even if it's a guess when time is running out.

Thanks in advance!
No idea personally, in afraid, but what does is say on the familiarisation material / parent information on the website of the organisation organising the exam? None of the 11+ exams for state schools I have come across involve negative marking, but it is a very important issue, so I can't imagine that it would not say somewhere that it is employed, if it is.
Last edited by ToadMum on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

CEM in Warwickshire is not negatively marked.

The only "test" recently that I have come across that is is the UKMT Challenge where I think section C is negatively marked.
Tigermum999

Post by Tigermum999 »

I've never heard of them negative marking, they definitely didn't when ds1 took the test and there is nothing on the schools websites to say they will.
I have told ds2 to fill in every question even with a guess! X
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

CEM is not negatively marked nor is any other 11 plus test.

Students should be taught to always put an answer as with five options they have a 20% chance and with four a 25% chance.

" I didn't do that one" is something that no student sitting a multiple choice paper should be saying.

Fair enough for standard format if they have no idea but they should always mark an answer in multiple choice. DG
chr1s

Post by chr1s »

Thanks all :)