Living in thurrock and Commuting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thurrock Mum

Living in thurrock and Commuting

Post by Thurrock Mum »

Hi Everyone, It's my first time on this forum and have found it very useful so far. I just wondered if there are any parents whose children commute from Thurrock to any of the grammar schools either in Essex or in Kent.
How do you do it?
Many thanks
doodles

Re: Living in thurrock and Commuting

Post by doodles »

Welcome to the forum Thurrock Mum.

I'm not able to help you with the Essex schools I'm afraid but I may be able to help a little with Kent. The nearest Kent GS to you would be those in Dartford or Willmington but both would mean using the tunnel / Bridge to commute. You would be best looking at the websites for these schools and then working out the commute, it may not seem far as the crow flies but the traffic can be pretty unpleasant :(
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kent would be a nightmare ...

Aren't there any good local schools?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Train to Southend East and a flat 12-15 minute walk for SHSG.
Train to Chalkwell and a 25 minute walk with hills for WHSB / WHSG
Train to Westcliff and a 26ish minute walk, less hilly, for SHSB, or train to Southend Central and a bus or a longer walk.

All the above have the advantage of fresh air, exercise and the ability to participate in after (and before) school activities.

If your DC doesn't think they'll ever be interested in participating in after school clubs, or find themselves being invited to represent the school in anything involving after school matches or 7.50am practices, there will probably be a private coach from nowhere around your area. Have a look back through the 'Essex' section :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Thurrock Mum

Post by Thurrock Mum »

Oh Wow! Thank you so much for the amazing responses. Lots to think about. It will be great to speak firsthand to anyone who does any of those commute.
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

Thurrock Mum wrote:Hi Everyone, It's my first time on this forum and have found it very useful so far. I just wondered if there are any parents whose children commute from Thurrock to any of the grammar schools either in Essex or in Kent.
How do you do it?
Many thanks
Southend schools: NIBS coach traveling from chafford hundred, grays station, tilbury, Chadwell st mary , orsett cock , pitsea and to westcliff and Southend schools. Brilliant service; DS goes on it. I heard train is also fairly straight forward.

Dartford schools: I know a mini bus leaves orsett cock at 07:15 but am not sure if it stops any where else. I also know a mini bus leaves grays station to chafford and to Wilmington gs and dartford; not sure of price but I know it exists.

But the Southend school are more straightforward. The double deck coach is often full
HopefulMumto2boys

Post by HopefulMumto2boys »

My son has a child from Grays in his class at KEGS. I think he gets a lift to Basildon and then gets a bus.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

HopefulMumto2boys wrote:My son has a child from Grays in his class at KEGS. I think he gets a lift to Basildon and then gets a bus.
Both the X10 (more expensive) and the 100 run between Basildon and Chelmsford. The 100 starts at Lakeside but not first thing in the morning; it runs over the whole route later in the day, though.

https://www.firstgroup.com/essex/airport-services/x10

https://bustimes.org/services/100-chelm ... 2018-09-17
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Thurrock Mum

Post by Thurrock Mum »

Thank you so much everyone. Looks like there are options.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Glad to hear that there are some options for you OP but please do check out the travel. You also need to consider what the alternatives are should your dc miss the bus or need to stay late - it happens more often than you would think especially as they get older.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now