New to year 9

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salmom

New to year 9

Post by salmom »

DS grammar school , started year 9 in September worried mum as first born so new to it all .
Any tips please? what are expectations?any links to useful resources? Not sure what they do this year guidance will be helpful thanks :idea:
scary mum

Re: New to year 9

Post by scary mum »

If you don't mind saying, it might help if you say which school? Some schools start gsce courses in year 9, others wait until year 10.
The school should provide any resources needed & may well recommend some revision guides, often best to buy them through the school if they offer as they will get them cheaper. Then, if your DS is like mine, you will get able to pass them on, unused, at the end of year 11
scary mum
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

As scary mum says, what school has your DS started?

My DS started AGS in Y9 and has found no problems settling in. The school were very supportive with languages (he had only studied one at secondary school) and rather than get him to catch up 2 years work on the other language, he stayed with the one language but had 4 hours a week rather than the 2 hours a week for each language - suffice to say he has come on leaps and bounds in this subject. With the other subjects he was fine and did not really require any catch up. If you have concerns speak to your DS's school, I found ours to be very helpful and supportive :)

GCSE subjects are not chosen till Y9 at AGS, but some schools have already chosen options in Y8.

Now my DS has started Y10, he loves it there and couldn't imagine being back at his old school, he is still in contact with friends made in Y7 & Y8, but now has a new set of friends also :D
Heartmum x x x
salmom

Post by salmom »

Thanks heart and scary mum. That really helps!I will speak to the school. It's HGS . He is enjoying it just trying to make sure I'm more prepared unlike 11plus which came as a huge surprise having moved from abroad. Thanks xx
Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now