English lit remark - is 5 marks feasible?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

English lit remark - is 5 marks feasible?

Post by stroudydad »

Hi All,
Daughter is still undecided about a remark for her AQA English lit. Any teachers here have any idea how feasible an extra 5 Marks is?
Daogroupie

Re: English lit remark - is 5 marks feasible?

Post by Daogroupie »

It is very feasible as one marker can not recognise the validity of an academic argument.

We had a English Lit paper that went from a B to an A star a couple of years ago. The Pride and Prejudice answer went from 80% to 100%. It contained an unusual interpretation of one of the main characters that was clearly not accepted by the first marker but recognised by the second.

I think Tinker's dc had the same issue this year. They had a more unusual argument that was not a CGP memorised one and the first marker did not recognise it. DG
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Excellent point , DG.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

I know the mark scheme says "and any other valid argument that has not been mentioned."

This is why standard format comprehensions are not sold with answers as there are so many answers to be considered.

I have written over 200 comprehension papers and I have questions where students come up with answers I had not considered, so this must happen in GCSE and A level marking.

If a student deviates from the conventional approach to a main character it is easy to see how that gets marked wrong because the marker is expecting the normal argument and instead there is a different one.

A different marker is anticipating an issue so they will be looking carefully and more open to different arguments. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DG is not quite correct. DD had her Eduqas Eng lit go up 7 marks but it was for ‘unduly harsh marking’. Another girl at same school went up 20 for same reason.

It was someone else with the CGP answer.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Thanks all:-)
piggys

Post by piggys »

Daogroupie wrote:Thank you.

I know the mark scheme says "and any other valid argument that has not been mentioned."

This is why standard format comprehensions are not sold with answers as there are so many answers to be considered.

I have written over 200 comprehension papers and I have questions where students come up with answers I had not considered, so this must happen in GCSE and A level marking.

If a student deviates from the conventional approach to a main character it is easy to see how that gets marked wrong because the marker is expecting the normal argument and instead there is a different one.

A different marker is anticipating an issue so they will be looking carefully and more open to different arguments. DG
Actually DG you are wrong about that; as someone who has been trained several times over by EDEXCEL and AQA for A level and GSCE English lit marking I can tell everyone here categorically that ALL lines of argument are valid as long as the student is able to a) present that line of argument cogently and b) include judicious use of quotation to validate that line of argument. The exam boards are very specific about rewarding all lines of argument which are presented intelligently. There is no 'normal' argument, as you put it.

The question of whether or not a marker is harsh or lenient is far more of a common issue - but easily rectified IME. A lot of cross-moderation takes place.

Also, I wish you wouldn't use this thread as an opportunity to boast about having 'written over 200 comprehensions' - I write loads of GCSE papers but I don't boast about it. :roll:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I just wanted to know if 5 marks was a feasible uplift...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

stroudydad wrote:I just wanted to know if 5 marks was a feasible uplift...
:lol: :lol:
I think the answer is "possibly"
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

stroudydad wrote:I just wanted to know if 5 marks was a feasible uplift...
And indeed in our case it was.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now