MTS vs St Albans

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sophiecox

MTS vs St Albans

Post by sophiecox »

Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether to apply to Merchant Taylors or St Albans for my ds - I'm not going for both as I've already signed him up for 4 others (and don't want to overdo it!), and MTS and StABs are both on the outer limit of what I think is a do-able commute. I'd be interested to get a general feel for which is easier to get in to ie it would be useful to hear from parents who got an offer from one and not the other. Many thanks!
Daogroupie

Re: MTS vs St Albans

Post by Daogroupie »

What are the other four schools you are applying for?

It is important to have backup schools.

St Albans and MT are good backup schools for Habs and City as they are a lot easier to get into.

Last year all the students I know of that applied to MT received an offer.

St Albans has had a hike in applications in recent years but is still easier to get into than Habs. DG
sophiecox

Post by sophiecox »

Thanks Daogroupie, can I take it from your name that you're a fan of Dame Alice?!! Ds sat the exam for that one too (2 weeks ago) and I too am a HUGE fan, just not holding out much hope due to the ridiculous volume of applicants! The others I've applied for are Habs, Aldenham, Mill Hill and Highgate - I just want to make sure I'm applying for enough to ensure some offers
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are deciding between the two schools, might it help to consider which one you / your DS felt would be after for him when you visited them?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OP,

Only 325 of the DAO applicants will go through to the second round and have their English and Maths papers marked so at this point it is not the same level of competition as Habs boys that have 600 applications for 60 places.

Habs will be the hardest school to win a place out of your list but the preparation you have already done for DAO will stand you in very good stead as the English Comprehension will only be a single page.

I would list it like this:

1. Habs hardest
2 MTS next
3. St Albans
4. Mill Hill
5. Aldenham very very straightforward if you have prepared for DAO

Which ones did you like best?

DG
sophiecox

Post by sophiecox »

Thanks that's really helpful - and good point about the DAO selection. Thankfully ds seems more drawn to the 'easier' schools (eg Aldenham/Mill Hill) than the big hitters. Think I'm leaning towards St Albans over MTS - he likes them equally and they are roughly the same distance from us. What makes you say MTS is harder than St A - did your kids sit both? Do you know of more kids getting offers from St A?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans is a very local school. Over 50% of the boys come from the town of St Albans and there is a very high number of boys who walk to school.

It is very connected to the town and right in the town so you see lots of them in the High street and it is right next to the cathedral.

MTS is a campus school so quite different. They have lovely sports facilities. St Albans as a city school does not have sports grounds at the school so the boys have to get a coach.

For getting to school both have excellent coach services and MTS has the tube.

In your position I would do the following:

1. Habs
2. MTS
3. St Albans
4. Highgate
5. Aldenham

You have the advantage of the Highgate exam being very early so you can focus on the others.

The first three are really top schools and I would not want to miss out on any of them. DG
sophiecox

Post by sophiecox »

Thanks, that's really helpful :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now