Hot takes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cazien

Re: Hot takes

Post by cazien »

I was at Crypt yesterday as my two DS's were helping out. Over 430 cars were parked safely on site and approx. 50 students on foot. Nice to see all the smiling faces coming out (except for the parents queuing at the traffic lights on Podsmead Road/Cole Avenue :twisted: :lol: ).

Good luck.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Oh bugger.
So this morning, dd told me that she didn't finish some sections. It turns out she didn't finish ANY of the sections, and when I asked - just one or two questions? her reply was - no lots of questions :(
I made a gentle joke about - good job we're going to *** school open evening next week then and she said in a little voice - I really like Stroud High and I want to go there. :(

She has an older sister there and a brother at Marling, so she would really feel it if she was the only one.

She was well prepared and scoring highly and totally on track. Now I just feel very sad for her, after all that.
authormum

Post by authormum »

Oh try not to worry about it. It may still be Ok. DD said she didn't finish any sections either, she said she’d missed 4 in each section, and she didn’t manage to fill in guesses either. She said that the CD with timings kept startling people and they were told to move on.
We’ll be looking around the other schools too which I hope will take our mind off it!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks, that's very reassuring, sounds like dd.
Until this morning I was just feeling - done it, leave it, we'll know on 12th.

Now I am worrying!

Just keep thinking, as long as the ones she did were ok, she might be ok...
Birdbridge

Post by Birdbridge »

It’s just impossible to know how they did based on their feedback!!! I asked DD so what words popped up in the vocabulary section? She couldn’t remember one word!!!! It’s like complete post-11+ amnesia!!!!

:shock:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Don’t worry DS also said he didn’t finish any of the sections with a couple having to be guessed.

If it’s any comfort DD missed out 2 while pages when she did hers (under the old test).
We knew she would, she is slow and methodical. Thankfully we also knew that of those that she answered she was more than likely to have a very high percentage correct..
there’s always more than one route to any destination..
surfer

Post by surfer »

My DS didn't finish all the questions either, and it sounded as though in some sections he missed quite a few. He did fill in guesses when they had the 1 minute warning, but there is only a small chance he'll have picked the right ones. Overall he said it was hard, similar to a mock exam he did the week before and a bit harder than the CGP books. Nothing unusual or unexpected - just hard! So yeah, I'm not feeling overly confident from that either, but tried not to let on to him that I'm worried.
cazien

Post by cazien »

steppemum wrote:Oh bugger.
So this morning, dd told me that she didn't finish some sections. It turns out she didn't finish ANY of the sections, and when I asked - just one or two questions? her reply was - no lots of questions :(
I made a gentle joke about - good job we're going to *** school open evening next week then and she said in a little voice - I really like Stroud High and I want to go there. :(

She has an older sister there and a brother at Marling, so she would really feel it if she was the only one.

She was well prepared and scoring highly and totally on track. Now I just feel very sad for her, after all that.

Don't worry! Please don't lose track of the reason for the exam. The exam is designed
- not to be finished
- hard questions alongside easier questions
- to determine those who can work efficiently and accurately

They want to identify who works effectively - eg. not spending too much time on one question when you have 19 others to answer!

Personally I think no-one should be capable of answering every question as the paper is designed to "throw spanners in the works" :twisted:
Anyone who answers every question has probably rushed and are more likely to have made a number of silly mistakes. Those who work accurately but miss a few questions are likely to get more correct answers. Provided DC's do not miss out a "high" percentage of questions, there is no need to panic. Even if DC's think they missed out "lots" of questions - they probably haven't! Chatting to friends exchanging opinions of the test can cloud your DC's judgement as to how they did.

There is nothing you can do about it now, but stay positive. It will be horribly long wait :!:

Good luck.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Steppemum - we had exactly the same with DS and last year's test. Out of seven sections, he only finished one and he was very precise about where he'd got to with each section and the number of questions there were in each. I worked out that he could only have answered about 75-80% of the overall question total at best. In practice tests he'd had issues with speed on maths but everything else had been fine.
Agonising wait for the results, but he did get a ranking for the school we wanted, albeit low and then got in off the waiting list.

Agree with cazien, the test is deliberately designed to be long. Not everyone will finish it and not all of those who do will be accurate.
Try not to think about it until October 12th - so much easier said than done!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thank you everyone for your encouragement.
I will try to forget it all til 12th.

good luck to all your dcs!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now