Exam done - Now what?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Narisha

Exam done - Now what?

Post by Narisha »

I know that results for Reading Boys are due mid Oct, but what will the results say? Will there be a ranking, will you know if the score is good enough to get a place, or do you have to wait until March for that?
Tinkers

Re: Exam done - Now what?

Post by Tinkers »

In the past there has been no ranking, I doubt there will be this year. The school can’t really give a ranking that means anything as they don’t know where parents will place the school on their CAF.

What you will get is a score, plus the number of boys who took the test. Last year I think they also added how many of those deemed qualified where in catchment. (Those ooc are effectively ranking after all those ic that qualified, even if they have massive scores and therefore very unlikely to get a day place).

From these figures, you can look at the historic admissions data I’ve put together in the stickies at the top of the Berkshire forum and see how your DSs score fits. If the numbers taking the test and the ratio of those ic and ooc are similar then the cut off score is going to be similar.

Doesn’t help those around the cutoff mark but it does help everyone else, probably far more than ranking helps.

In the past some parents put in an FOI request for more info. This is why they added the numbers of ic and ooc last year, they get asked every year anyway.
If anyone does, bear in mind that you don’t get the info before you have to fill in the CAF and until everyone fills in the CAF AND data is exchanged between LAs, there’s no extra useful data that they can tell you. The school have no idea who is going to put the School on the CAF and whether they might put another School higher that they will get instead.
Narisha

Post by Narisha »

Thanks, thats really helpful - and quite complicated! Looks like I will need to come back here when the results are out :-) Thanks
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

hi,
During the exam, there has been a glitch in the computer/projector it seems and in the room where my DD took the test, it failed to work. And also the wrist watches were not allowed as well. Can I know whom I should report this to, please?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Report to the school. It should be in the invigilator’s report.

I know that kendrick said in their letter that no watches were allowed, so if your DD was sitting the test there it should not have been a surprise.
A4Armadillo

Post by A4Armadillo »

mgm3 - was your DD at Kendrick in the morning? If so, the whole school was affected.

I've not seen any discussion on here. When my reply to a conversation on another thread at the weekend didn't appear on the board I wondered if that was because of a short comment I made at the end about the same issue. But if we are permitted to discuss it here that's helpful. Thank you Tinkers for the advice about writing to the school. There could be a lot of letters in the post.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A4Armadillo wrote:mgm3 - was your DD at Kendrick in the morning? If so, the whole school was affected.

I've not seen any discussion on here. When my reply to a conversation on another thread at the weekend didn't appear on the board I wondered if that was because of a short comment I made at the end about the same issue. But if we are permitted to discuss it here that's helpful. Thank you Tinkers for the advice about writing to the school. There could be a lot of letters in the post.
I don’t recall seeing the post you mentioned that didn’t appear and can’t see it in the moderator logs.

If the whole school was affected then they will obviously be fully aware of the issue. It would be the classroom smart board and not a projector as such. What were they using the smart board for? The CD? The option not to use the CD is one that may be taken for the CEM test if there is an issue. Obviously all the girls taking the test were affected.

Apparently according to DD (who has just walked in) the server was down.
A4Armadillo

Post by A4Armadillo »

Sorry Tinkers. If I am just incompetent rather than delinquent that's a relief.

DD said that the whole school was affected and all the girls in the morning session had to sit in the test classrooms for an additional 45 minutes or more while someone tried to fix the IT system. Then they started the second test. Nothing was said about reading the instructions aloud in order to avoid the delay.

That seems a long time to sit in an exam room wondering what might happen next. They weren't allowed to go outside. They were just told to start the second paper when the computers came back on. The girls in the afternoon group had to stand outside and wait for the morning group to leave. More stress all round. Compare that with those who sat in Slough and it is hard to argue that there was equal treatment. The school must be well aware of how people might be feeling. Is there ever a general statement issued about things like this?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect wherever possible they would want to use the recorded CD as that really does ensure that everyone gets the same experience. Especially since they sit the test in the classrooms separately and not altogether in a big hall.

Obviously it’s not ideal, but it could happen at any school. The majority of those taking the test in Slough will not be in catchment for kendrick though, so even if they share their score with kendrick I’m not sure it will make much of an impact. Although I doubt that’s much comfort to you and your DDs right now.

One of the things I did drill into DD when she took the test was to deal with whatever weird things might happen. Others crying, sneezing, coughing etc. Sirens outside (being near the hospital it’s quite common), getting time count downs or not. Basically to try and not let anything or anyone put her off her stride. ‘Expect the unexpected’ essentially, and it doesn’t just refer to CEM question types.

A bit late for you now though.
A4Armadillo

Post by A4Armadillo »

Good advice as always Tinkers.
Expect the unexpected is our message for life. And clearly sensible in these circumstances. My own DD is just glad that she can put this part of the process behind her. Leave discussions of the annoyances to the adults!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now