Ad Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Droftaw

Ad Maths

Post by Droftaw »

My DD (Y10) is doing “Ad Maths” as she calls it. Does Ad mean additional or advanced? What does Ad Maths entail? If the pupil is strong at Maths is it an efficient way of getting another qualification (GCSE?)

Many thanks for any help.
Guest55

Re: Ad Maths

Post by Guest55 »

'Ad' means additional - it's another GCSE. It's better to get high grades in fewer subjects so I'd ask the school why they are suggesting this.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

Thanks

She loves Maths, as is likely to get a better grade in Ad Maths than other GCSEs. My understanding is that the school teaches the top set to Ad Maths level and then makes a decision nearer the time, depending on how the pupil is doing, whether to sit the exam(s). It’s all taught within the timetable.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A top grade in Maths GCSE will be of far more value than a grade in Add Maths. Other subjects are just as important as 'extra' GCSEs; many good schools are not taking this qualification these days.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

Thanks. I would have thought that studying Ad Maths would help her achieve a top grade in GCSE Maths. Your comment seems to suggest otherwise.

I think I should study the syllabuses (or is that syllabi?) and see how much additional content is in the Ad Maths compared to the GCSE.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is Add Maths btw - no the additional content does not help. They are two separate exams and possibly a danger that the exam might clash with other GCSEs..
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My sons school followed the same approach, and actually it worked for my son, however G55 is correct that higher is better than more...
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Ad maths has been dropped by the grammar schools my two attend even for the top sets.
I’m glad ( and so are my children).
Hera

Post by Hera »

DS did AQA Further Maths as an 11th. He didn't find it onerous, it gave him an additional GCSE and he feels it has stood him in good stead for Maths and Further Maths at A-Level. It was an entry requirement for further maths A-Level at his school, although they obviously had to consider external applicants who were not able to take it. However the "linked" girls school his sisters attend don't offer it.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Hera wrote:it gave him an additional GCSE and he feels it has stood him in good stead for Maths and Further Maths at A-Level
That is my understanding too. At DS2's grammar school they offer FSMQ to all students based on the performance in Maths Mock results in Year 11. So, effectively, students only have 4 months to prepare for this additional qualification and hence I take you point that it can't be onerous.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now