starting out - bond placement tests?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
exam2019

starting out - bond placement tests?

Post by exam2019 »

I have been dipping in and out of forums here for a while, but now it is time to start preparations with DS for his 11+ next September. We're aiming for The Latymer School which is an opt in/superselective. GL Maths & VR, with School Reading & Writing Papers.

DS is just starting Y5 and I got him to try the free Bond Placement test which can be downloaded from their website. They provide answers but not much guidance on what the results mean. He did the tests untimed.

Can anyone advise on the following scores?
(Level 1/2/3/4 results):
Maths: 100%/90%/80%/67%
VR: 100%/100%/96%/83%
English: 90%/100%/67%/100%

I'm assuming that his main challenge will be to replicate these scores under timed conditions?
Otherwise what sort of scores should we be expecting a year before his test?

Thanks
piggys

Re: starting out - bond placement tests?

Post by piggys »

Your ds will be expected to produce some creative writing for Latymer which will test his ability to understand a section of text in terms of character, theme and setting.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Were the tests you did all multiple choice? DG
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Hello exams2019
We were in a similar situation to you, 2 years ago, when my DD was in Y5 and start prep for the 11+ entrance tests. At that stage, we didn't look at any papers, even the free sample ones as our main objective at the beginning of Y5 was to ensure that she had a solid foundation in Maths & English for KS2.

We only started looking at papers in mid April during Easter hols. She continued to build up knowledge of the KS2 curriculum until about end June when we switched her to papers under timed conditions.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks for all your replies.

piggy - yes the english paper will be his weak spot. Any preparation tips? We need to work on inference for the comprehension - the Hobbit past paper terrified me and I've not shown it to DS! Creative writing is currently a disaster area.... Any preparation tips gratefully received!

DG - complete mixture of questions, but I was going to leave it until later in the year (when we start using test papers) to move to maths/VR in GL multiple choice format.

Square - thanks - did you plan your own lessons between September and April to cover content? I'm feeling a bit daunted by the planning process....
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

exam2019 wrote:Thanks for all your replies.
Square - thanks - did you plan your own lessons between September and April to cover content? I'm feeling a bit daunted by the planning process....
Although there is nothing that we couldn't cover from the KS2 content, we chose a tutor to avoid the weekly aggravation and arguing over the studies.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Ah - lucky you! I’m wishing we had got on to a waiting list early enough.... [goes off to plan lessons!]
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

I thought I’d pop back to say that I found the answer to this where the placement tests originate from: Bond Parents Guide to the 11+. There’s a table giving expected scores depending on weeks until the exam.... from what I can tell the expected score is 72 with 12 months to go! So we’re doing OK!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is Latymer the only school you are sitting?

If so my advice would be to prepare in the Latymer exam format from day one as there would be no reason to use any other format.

If you are thinking of using a tutor now would be a very good time to find one as lots of tutors will be having slots released back to them as the state school tests come to an end. DG
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks DG.
Yes - only Latymer - your question about multiple choice up-thread was very useful; I've made sure to order only GL format information.

Tutoring is tricky. Group sessions will not work for DS so we need 1-2-1. The good people who offer this at reasonable prices have had waiting lists since the start of Y3. The people who have spaces are quoting £90 per hour (min 1.5 hours) for SEN tutoring in our home..... So we're going DIY and I think that's going to work best for me and DS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now