Chances of getting into Dr Challoner's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
unprepared

Chances of getting into Dr Challoner's

Post by unprepared »

Hi All,

My DD is going to give her 11+ next year for 2020 place. We live in HA6 area. Our first thought was Dr Challoners so planned to move there. However, I read somewhere on the forum that if we have a house within 20 miles then that would be considered as the permanent address and the new rented place wouldn't be considered. As our current house (own) falls within 20 miles, I believe there is no point in moving there.

However, I would like to check if we could still try for her place in Dr Challenors from HA6? Is there a chance that she might still be considered on any other criteria (may be 11+ test marks etc)?

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Chances of getting into Dr Challoner's

Post by Guest55 »

Have you checked how far you are [straight line distance] from the school? Sally-Anne's spreadsheet show the furthest the places have been allocated: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you get 121 or over the score is not important.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

If your house is in the very northwest corner of HA6 then it's marginal based on this year's allocation distance. If you're further into London it's less likely. You might get a place, you might not. You need a qualifying score which is 121 or more. Places are allocated by distance, not score, for all qualifiers. The only way you can "jump the queue" is through other admissions criteria such as the sibling rule.

What is it about the school that you liked so much when you visited? If it's your clear first choice, why not properly move to Little Chalfont or the local area to improve your chances of gaining a place?
unprepared

Post by unprepared »

Hi Guest55,

Striaght line distance is 8 miles while the file shows 6.57 miles for 2018. Does it mean that it is of no use/guarantee to even try and expect a place in it? Ofcourse the allocated distance might increase but again there is no guarantee.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

House building will tend to shrink the distances so I think the chances are zero.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

You've summed it up. This year you would not have got a place (if qualified), whereas in the previous two years, you would have got a place.

Look over the distances for all the grammar schools in that list. The general trend is a reduction in allocation distances so if I were a betting man, I'd say you're too far out. Increased population densities and what I suspect to be an increase in tuition and therefore competition are probably behind that.

Which brings me back to my previous post: If it's your first choice, you will need to move to be confident of gaining a place if your daughter qualifies.

Edited to add: I keep cross-posting with Guest55!
unprepared

Post by unprepared »

anotherdad wrote:If your house is in the very northwest corner of HA6 then it's marginal based on this year's allocation distance. If you're further into London it's less likely. You might get a place, you might not. You need a qualifying score which is 121 or more. Places are allocated by distance, not score, for all qualifiers. The only way you can "jump the queue" is through other admissions criteria such as the sibling rule.

What is it about the school that you liked so much when you visited? If it's your clear first choice, why not properly move to Little Chalfont or the local area to improve your chances of gaining a place?
It is my DD that prefers this school as one of her best friend "might" end up in it as her sister goes there. We could plan to move there properly but again with the information I gathered from other posts in this forum, there is no guarantee that we could get a place just because we are in catchment area. If we don't get a place then I believe we will be in trouble and look for other schools which again would be based on what is allocated to us rather than what is chosen by us. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - you'd have to sell up and move but then you risk not qualifying. If you are near a good comprehensive then I'd stay put.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

unprepared wrote:It is my DD that prefers this school as one of her best friend "might" end up in it as her sister goes there. We could plan to move there properly but again with the information I gathered from other posts in this forum, there is no guarantee that we could get a place just because we are in catchment area. If we don't get a place then I believe we will be in trouble and look for other schools which again would be based on what is allocated to us rather than what is chosen by us. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Firstly, I think it's a bit premature to be considering moving on the basis that your daughter's best friend might go there. You should look more carefully at the school, visit it with your daughter on a school day, read its Ofsted report, etc. It is by all accounts a good school but will it suit your daughter?

If you move close to the school (say, within a couple of miles), secure a qualifying score and place it as your first choice, you will get a place, it's as simple as that. The only way you'd miss out is if there was an astonishing blip in the statistics caused by a couple of tower blocks of heavily tutored children moving into the school field. What you would have to consider is what your alternative choice would be if she didn't qualify. So as well as doing more research into the school, you will need to do the same for the upper schools in that area so you have a back-up option.
unprepared

Post by unprepared »

Hi anotherdad,

I do agree and we are taking her there this week. Things might change after our visit but I am preparing myself. I would have to explain her the fact that it is not practical to consider that school unless we move there etc.

Do we stand a chance in any of the SW Herts schools or even there it remains a question mark?

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now