GL vs CEM

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dreams

GL vs CEM

Post by dreams »

Hi there, where I can find information about the style of exams that schools are using (GL vs CEM), please ? I've checked admission policies (QE boys, WGBS, St Clement Danes), can't find anything. Thank you
scary mum

Re: GL vs CEM

Post by scary mum »

A lot of the information is on this page: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the left hand side there is a list of areas, and within that information about the exams at each school, or group of schools.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not to mention in the information on the QE website, for QE - have a look at the familiarisation booklets:

https://www.qebarnet.co.uk/admissions-i ... st-papers/

Hint - none of them say 'Durham University Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring ' :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

ToadMum wrote:Not to mention in the information on the QE website, for QE - have a look at the familiarisation booklets:

Hint - none of them say 'Durham University Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring ' :) .
The North London Girls' Schools' Consortium of a dozen independent schools, now rebadged the 'London 11+ Consortium', also has a familiarisation booklet that doesn't mention 'Durham University Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring' anywhere.

But the booklet has the same content as the CEM booklets for numerous grammar schools!

One such grammar school is Watford Boys. St Clement Danes is in the same SW Herts consortium as WGBS.

QE on the other hand is still using GL I believe.
dreams

Post by dreams »

ToadMum wrote:Not to mention in the information on the QE website, for QE - have a look at the familiarisation booklets:

good point :wink: thanks
dreams

Post by dreams »

thank you all
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Watford Boys and Clement Danes are part of the SW Herts Consortium.

SW Herts uses GL for Maths and CEM for English VR on the same day with a short break between them. They use the same CEM as DAO.

These schools do not run their exams themselves but the central body SW Herts runs an academic exam and a music exam for all the schools in the consortium, You then apply for the schools after you have received your results in October from the exams.

This is made clear on both their websites that you need to go to the SW Herts consortium website to find out more about their exams.

QE boys has a very clear admissions policy under a very large tab that says ADMISSIONS

They have the details on their website about their exam and some sample papers.

They use Multiple Choice GL English and Maths 50 questions in 50 minutes, both on the same day with a short break between.

DG
dreams

Post by dreams »

Daogroupie wrote:Watford Boys and Clement Danes are part of the SW Herts Consortium.

SW Herts uses GL for Maths and CEM for English VR on the same day with a short break between them. They use the same CEM as DAO.

These schools do not run their exams themselves but the central body SW Herts runs an academic exam and a music exam for all the schools in the consortium, You then apply for the schools after you have received your results in October from the exams.

This is made clear on both their websites that you need to go to the SW Herts consortium website to find out more about their exams.

QE boys has a very clear admissions policy under a very large tab that says ADMISSIONS

They have the details on their website about their exam and some sample papers.

They use Multiple Choice GL English and Maths 50 questions in 50 minutes, both on the same day with a short break between.

DG
Thank you, DG. I've read admission policies for all school that we're interested in but was struggling to find info about exam style - GL vs CEM. Now everything is perfectly clear, thanks xx