High cost of travelling to school by train in Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

High cost of travelling to school by train in Kent

Post by mystery »

It's just dawning on me how expensive it can be for children to get to school in Kent in certain circumstances.

If they're not attending their closest school (out of choice, not due to oversubscription), and their school of choice is only accessible by train, the train fares are very high compared to the Kent freedom pass.

Then at 16+, train fares are the adult fare and the Kent transport policy is different. So a student who needs to go to school by train (no buses) pays the full adult fare - even if it was their closest school and they were in receipt of free transport up to 16 under the Kent policy which says you can get free transport to you closest school if it is over 3 miles etc.

The over 16 in thing in particular does not feel right now that some form or education or training is compulsory part-time up until 18.
scary mum

Re: High cost of travelling to school by train in Kent

Post by scary mum »

In Bucks my DCs' fares on Bucks CC provided transport went up a lot when they went into 6th form. They are using the same seat to go to the same school, it seems very unfair to me.
scary mum
Rollon13th

Post by Rollon13th »

My daughter has to travel to school by train as there isn't a bus, it isn't her nearest school as that's a non selective school it also isn't her nearest grammar school but it's the school that suited her needs the best. The train is expensive I am paying just under £100 a term and as she has a September birthday I will be paying adult fare when she is in Yr 11 and she has to go to school so is far from being an adult in work and I probably won't be earning any more than I am now. I think southeastern trains should have a travel to school pass like the bus pass if the trains were cheaper more pupils might use the train and free up some of the traffic on the roads and the busses wouldn't be so overcrowded
doodles

Post by doodles »

There is a Scholars' Pass which entitles over 16's to reduced train fares. I am just about to go to the station and enquire about it as he is using the train to come home 3 out of 5 nights. There is also the 16-25 railcard but this can't be used with peak time fares unless the fare is over £12 (this bits from memory so may need checking).

I need to work out which one is better value for us especially as I have forked out for a £400 bus pass. Unfortunately the buses after the end of school don't get him home for absolutely ages so the train is the only way to go if he has to stay after school.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sounds comparatively reasonable....from next year I will be asked to pay £780 per year to get my son to school....it will genuinely be more cost effective to drive him regardless of the impact on the environment... :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am a bit puzzled by the train fare that someone quoted above on a per term basis. Depending on how many terms in the year you are referring to, and what length term it is based on, it sounds extremely low even for a child under 16.

From us, the train to the closest grammar school (a 15 minute train ride only) costs for a 4 weekly season ticket £67 for a child and £134 for an adult. There is no bus alternative and it's a long drive.

To our closest school in another county, the adult 4 weekly season ticket (16+) would be £93 per 4 week period. So people who have selected the school for free travel, would then have to pay this amount once the student is 16+.

What sort of journey for what kind of child are you getting for the price you quote Kenyan Cowgirl in Bucks?

Doodles, what is this Scholars Pass you mention?

Thanks for replying.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mystery, I will find out and report back when I go to the station.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That’s a 16-19 year old pass on the vacant seat scheme (you have to apply to see if there is a vacant seat on the bus before you pay your nearly £800!!) It’s a ten mile bus ride - no other way of getting in (apart from driving) as it is not a safe cycle ride either.
doodles

Post by doodles »

KCG that's is an eyewatering amount of money. I thought £400 pa was bad enough (up to year 11 it's £250 pa). I am about to go to the station and find out cheaper ways of getting DS2 home when he stays late as I am haemorrhaging £20 notes for train fares at the moment.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

The school bus to our school (in Bucks) was going to be just under £600 three years ago.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now