School Misleading the panel during an appeal meeting?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bromley

School Misleading the panel during an appeal meeting?

Post by Bromley »

Hi

We had an appeal meeting today and the panel were far less frightening, and more helpful, than anticipated.

Part of our presentation was a letter from our DD's current headmistress stating that she expects DD to achieve 5s in this year's SATs.

The Deputy headmistress presenting fro the school we are appealing against said that they expected SATs grade 5 as the very minimum.

It was our understanding that grade 5 is the best that can be achieved but she asserted that SATs can go all the way to grade 8. When pushed she said that grade 6 could be achieved at 10/11 years old but very rarely.

Is it just us or did her statement make it seem that the predicted grade 5 was not good enough and higher should be expected? If so, how do we make this very clear to the panel now our appeal meeting has been heard?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

level 5 is the highest that can be awarded in the KS2 tests - she was being economical with the truth!

level 8 is only awarded in Maths at KS3 to the top 8% or so!!
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

Guest55 wrote:level 5 is the highest that can be awarded in the KS2 tests - she was being economical with the truth!

level 8 is only awarded in Maths at KS3 to the top 8% or so!!
If this is the case, how can we retrospectively make sure the panel are aware of this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think they will know - after all she died admit that only a few got level 6 - and that is only Teacher assessed not tested.
capers123

Re: School Misleading the panel during an appeal meeting?

Post by capers123 »

Bromley wrote:We had an appeal meeting today and the panel were far less frightening, and more helpful, than anticipated.
Most of the panelists I've met are fine, nice people - we do care about children & parents, otherwise we wouldn't volunteer for the job. The school / LEA side are also usuallyOK. I have met scary clerks in the past, though!
The Deputy headmistress presenting fro the school we are appealing against said that they expected SATs grade 5 as the very minimum.

It was our understanding that grade 5 is the best that can be achieved but she asserted that SATs can go all the way to grade 8. When pushed she said that grade 6 could be achieved at 10/11 years old but very rarely.

Is it just us or did her statement make it seem that the predicted grade 5 was not good enough and higher should be expected? If so, how do we make this very clear to the panel now our appeal meeting has been heard?
Very difficult to do after the appeal has been heard - all evidence should be argued on it the room. You could write quickly to the panel (ie tonight, present to the clerk by hand) if they've not finished hearing cases, but I'm not sure of the legal position, for the school side would have the chance to argue back.

As I understand it, L6 has not been tested for in Y6 SATS for quite a few years. L5a is the highest that can be scored. There used to be an extra extension test for G&T pupils.

She is theoretically correct that they go up to grade 8, but that's not tested until ?year 9? Children are not entered early for SATS.

Unfortunately, you'd not be able to take the case to the ombudsman as the panel have heard the evidence correctly and fairly and the correct procedures have been followed. One party giving misleading facts in not down to the panel. I think it would have to go to Judicial Review to overturn.

Now the good side of this is that if this person was also presenting for the other appeals, they will have given the same answer to all the other appeals - and if argued down, the panel will realise they've been strung along.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There have certainly been previous cases where the ombudsman has requested a re-hearing because of misleading information given to the panel by the presenting officer.

Raise your concerns first with whoever organised the appeals.

Then, if necessary, go to the ombudsman.
Etienne
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

By "whoever organised the appeals" do you mean the school or the County?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Who sent you the case papers?
Etienne
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

I hand delivered 5 copies of a letter this morning to the Clerk To The Appeal as I knew they were sitting again today.

The Chairman even had a smile for me.

------------------

Regardless of the outcome of our appeal my respect for those on the panel is very high. They do a tough job and went out of their way to ensure my wife and I felt comfortable.

If you haven't had your appeal yet, nervewrecking as it may seem, the panel are very calm and fair.
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Good luck!! I hope things go well for you. :D

regards LGASKS
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now