2019 Entry SET - Wallington school Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OnlyTw7dad

2019 Entry SET - Wallington school Admission

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

Hello everyone,
Received email telling DS achieved a score in the Selective Eligibility Test that enables him to be considered for a place . They did not give raw or any other type of score.

We are in outer catchment.

School's admission page says
http://fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.net ... -entry.pdf
Oversubscription Criteria
1. Looked After Children (LAC) and Previously Looked After Children (PLAC)
2. Selective Eligibility Test (SET)
In rank order of performance in the Selective Eligibility Test (SET). The total number of places awarded under criteria 1 and 2, together with those with the School named in an Education Health & Care Plan (EHCP) or Statement of Special Needs will not exceed 110.
Does it mean they will give 110 places purely on the SET rank order ? Without knowing any further info how do one place the school on CAF ? Given that only 6 schools can be placed there. Any previous parents or knowledgeable parents out there to help ?
CSB

Re: 2019 Entry SET - Wallington school Admission

Post by CSB »

OnlyTw7dad wrote:Without knowing any further info how do one place the school on CAF ?
This one is simple - you place your schools in true order of your preference on the CAF. If you and your son love Wallington Boys then put it number 1. If his score is not high enough for a place, then he's considered for your 2nd choice instead and so on. Your application to a school is considered equally to all other applications regardless of where you place it on your CAF. If you meet all the criteria for a school, then you are removed from the list for the schools you placed lower down on the CAF.
OnlyTw7dad

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

CSB wrote:
OnlyTw7dad wrote:Without knowing any further info how do one place the school on CAF ?
This one is simple - you place your schools in true order of your preference on the CAF. If you and your son love Wallington Boys then put it number 1. If his score is not high enough for a place, then he's considered for your 2nd choice instead and so on. Your application to a school is considered equally to all other applications regardless of where you place it on your CAF. If you meet all the criteria for a school, then you are removed from the list for the schools you placed lower down on the CAF.
Brilliant, One entry in my CAF got filled then.

So, if you fill Wallington on 2nd place in CAF and I did not get a place during Round 1 of seat allocation on March 1, then Let's say I'm offered 3rd place choice "someschool" Will I be placed on to the waiting list of Wallington and called later if waiting list moves ?
OnlyTw7dad

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

Basically, I want to ask, will my true order of CAF entry will be respected all the time and will I be placed on to waiting list in all the schools of my choice ?

Let's say I place A B C D E F school in the CAF in that order and on March 1 I get admission in School F.. then will be placed all the waiting list of all the other schools of my higher choices like A B C D E ?
CSB

Post by CSB »

Does it mean they will give 110 places purely on the SET rank order ? Without knowing any further info how do one place the school on CAF ? Given that only 6 schools can be placed there. Any previous parents or knowledgeable parents out there to help ?
Yes. They allocate as follows:
1) Looked after children (there was 1 last year).
2) 110 places based on SET score, regardless of whether you live in Scotland or Sutton.
3) 25 places for PP children. If there are not 25 applications from PP then more places go into category 1).
4) 15 places for children in the Sutton postcodes they list. This does not include any Sutton children that already have a place in category 1).
5) Staff children.

So only 15 of the 150 places are guaranteed for Sutton postcodes, but in practice there will also be local kids that qualify through category 1). Tie-breaks in any of the categories are decided on distance from the school.

There really is nothing to lose by listing your schools in order of preference on your CAF, so long as you have listed at least 1 school that you know you will qualify for (i.e. a non selective school that you are closest to). You really can't anticipate whether you will get into a grammar school when scores are not published. It is slightly different for the girls who sit the SET, who do receive their score after stage 2 and can make a guess based on previous years. Although that is still risky.
OnlyTw7dad

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

Thank you . I also got answer for my question for preference system in Croydon council site

https://www.croydon.gov.uk/education/sc ... s#parental

How are parental preferences used?
If you listed 6 schools in preference order and all 6 can offer your child a place, the system will select the highest preference on your list and offer you a place at that school.

Example
If you listed 6 schools in preference order and schools 3, 4, 5 and 6 can offer your child a place, the system will offer you a place at the third preference school. Your child will also be put on the waiting list for your higher preferences 1 and 2 schools, in case places become available at a later stage. These offers will continue to be made under the schools’ published admissions criteria. Please see the section below on the operation of waiting lists.
CSB

Post by CSB »

OnlyTw7dad wrote:Let's say I place A B C D E F school in the CAF in that order and on March 1 I get admission in School F.. then will be placed all the waiting list of all the other schools of my higher choices like A B C D E ?
Usually you automatically get put on the waiting list for higher preference schools. This will be made clear on offer day, but if it's not clear then get in touch with your Local Authority after offer day to understand the process.

Sometimes a lower preference school will also get in touch directly with you to ask if you want to change your mind just to throw a spanner in the works! This happened to us last year when my son got his 1st choice but we were quickly contacted by Wilson's after the offers were made to ask if we wanted to reconsider and be placed on their waiting list. I think this happens a lot.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now