Anyone know SET test statics?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
judith1209

Anyone know SET test statics?

Post by judith1209 »

I'm wondering how many sat for SET exam and passed for the 2nd stage. Does anyone know?
Tid

Re: Anyone know SET test statics?

Post by Tid »

CSB wrote in another post:
This is from Sutton council's transfer to secondary school booklet.

Boys:
Number of male candidates at Selective Eligibility Test for September 2018: 2874
Number of candidates at second stage test for Sutton Grammar/Wilson's for September 2018: 998 (35%)

Girls:
Number of female candidates at Selective Eligibility Test for September 2018: 2409
Number of candidates at second stage test for Nonsuch/Wallington Girls for September 2018: 965 (40%)
I had slightly different figures from info last year when my son sat it, but only very slightly different. These were that:

995 sat stage 2 though I didn't know how many sat the SET, I had heard on this forum that 3125 were registered
809 of the 995 achieved level for SGS
624 of the 995 achieved level for Wilsons

I'm afraid I have no infor on the girls second stage if that is what you were after.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

I think I have seen stats on another post on the pass rates for the second stage tests?
Can anyone help please?
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

Thanks for the information, Tid. :)
ojmum

Post by ojmum »

I have just came back from the Sutton Grammar Open Evening. I think the headmaster said the following:

3018 took the 1st stage test.
1008 were eligible to go on to the 2nd stage.

I presume he meant just the boys. Also my hearing may not have been totally perfect.
OnlyTw7dad

Post by OnlyTw7dad »

So 1008 were eligible to go on to the 2nd stage.
  • Number of seats available after Stage -1 tests
    Sutton Grammar School = 135
    Wallington County Grammar School = 110
    Wilson's School = 180
    Total = 425
  • Kids who got stage 2 invitation but do not want to sit for stage 2 exam = 50
  • Exam tourism kids who writes exam everywhere and finally may go to private school ,let's say = 50
    Boys who got other preferences like QE , Tiffins or St Olaves or any other school = 100
Now, let's say 900 kids write Stage 2 exam and we need min 425 + waiting list = ~ 500 [min 25 waiting list per school]

So in this 500 Stage 2 cleared kids , above 100 kids will be immediately off the list. which will leave 450 stage 2 cleared kids. Does it mean that the chance of getting sutton school if a kid sits for Stage 2 is much higher like 50% chance ?

May be my calculations are skewed towards my belief, correct it if flaws.
CSB

Post by CSB »

WCGS = 150 places not 110

It's very hard to guess your chances as distance comes into it too for SGS and to some extent for WCGS. It's frustrating not knowing, but if your DC reaches the required standard after stage 2 you just have to sit tight until March 1st, or beyond if you're placed on waiting lists, and make sure you have at least one back up option that you're happy with.

All we knew last year was that DS was one of 624 that met the required standard for Wilson's and one of 809 of SGS, and one of an unknown number that met the WCGS standard, and how many would eventually be offered a place at each school. It's not worth adding to the stress by trying to speculate what it means beyond that in my opinion! Good luck for stage 2!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think it’s likely for the boys that got through to stage 2 that there is at least a 50% chance of ending up with a place.
For the girls I think it’s higher.
When my Dd did stage 2 from memory around 900 sat it and only about 100 didn’t pass stage 2.
Of all the people we know who did no one passed stage 2 and didn’t get a place.
That’s for IC places as we are very local to both girls schools.
Tid

Post by Tid »

Edited from info I sent to a friend having gone through this all last year when my son "passed" the second stage. Remember 624 passed second stage for Wilsons, 809 passed for SGS, and the majority of those will have passed for Wallington after the first stage:
What this means is that when we fill in the CAF form we can list SGS, Wilsons and Wallington as schools, but we still won’t know until offer day in March whether he has a place or not! It is further complicated of course by the fact that many of those 809 will have no intention of going to SGS but want to go to Wilsons yet are still included in those 809 who have qualified for SGS, some will be preferring Wallington but have SGS and Wilsons as backup, some will go to Independent schools or Tiffin, and some are exam tourists using it as practise. Across SGS, Wallington and Wilsons there are 465 places. Apparently SGS said in a letter last year: "One unfortunate aspect of open testing at an early date is that there are lots of boys who use the tests as practice for selective schools in their own area. This school used to hold its second test in November and last year was the first time our second stage was in early October. Significant numbers took the second stage who lived in places that cannot reasonably access the school without moving and virtually none of these boys came to the school in September. We can see a similar pattern in the post codes of applicants this year and so although we have passed more boys this year we think that there will be a close balance between the total number of selective places for boys who live within reasonable travelling distance and the numbers who have met the selective standard."

So whilst 809 seems a huge number for 135 places at SGS, maybe experience tells them there won’t be too many on the waiting list by the end of it.

I guess the key point is that these schools use their experience to ensure that when the allocation of places sorts itself out, they will have a waiting list, but I suspect plan for that waiting list to be reasonably small. I doubt very much whether there are hundreds of kids who passed but don't get a place, what would be the point for the schools? Why pass 809 for 135 places if you know that you will have a 300 person waiting list? That makes no sense, so I can only assume that they knew they would have to pass 809 to get their 135 and a spare few just in case.

In our own case, fabulous school that it may be, we never considered Wilsons for our son as it is just too far/difficult to get to. Nevertheless, due to the joint second stage, he would still have been counted in their 624 eligible boys. I can't imagine we were the only ones in that situation.

Hope that helps a bit.
ojmum

Post by ojmum »

Yes, headmaster more or less said it all works out in the end. He mentioned something like:

682 were eligible for 135 spaces for Sept 2018 intake.

I'm not sure if I heard correctly again as obviously this contradicts the 809 stat.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now