KES parking tips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
halsea

KES parking tips

Post by halsea »

We have the exam coming up next week and whilst I can see that they are offering to take the children out of the car in the morning, we have to physically go into the hall to collect. There seems to be very little parking nearby, can anyone suggest where, as I know I'll already be stressed on the day. Thanks
ToadMum

Re: KES parking tips

Post by ToadMum »

halsea wrote:We have the exam coming up next week and whilst I can see that they are offering to take the children out of the car in the morning, we have to physically go into the hall to collect. There seems to be very little parking nearby, can anyone suggest where, as I know I'll already be stressed on the day. Thanks
Can you use the North East car park over at the university? The Barber Institute opens at 11, so you could combine picking up with a visit to the gallery and a cup of coffee (depending on what time the exam finishes).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks Toadmum, we did the Barber when she sat her Grammar test there 3 weeks ago, lovely place :) Do I need a permit to park in the North East car park? Pick up is around 2.45pm so I imagine its bedlam around there then.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Here is another option:
When my DS sat the exams several years ago, I parked in a little street on the other side of Bristol road, one coming from Bournbrook road (you can choose between Luton road or Croydon road). I had no problem to find a space there on the two occasions: when bringing him up in the morning and when picking him up. Then you have a twenty mn walk (around): big traffic light on Bristol road, then you walk next to the swimming pool, and finally you walk up Edgbaston Park road.

If these two streets are full, you could park a bit further away on Serpentine road, which is the street that I use to park for free to this day when I go to the University of Birmingham.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

North East car park is pay on foot and uses ANPR rather than issuing a ticket (you just drive in and then enter your registration number when you pay). I think it may be free at the weekend, but best to check with UoB. 'Visitors' (which you are if you visit the Barber) can use it so I would think you would be okay to park there. The Labworth opens at midday, if you fancy Geology (haven't managed to get there since it reopened, but DS2 says he might like to visit his brother - who lives in one of the roads the other side of Bristol Rd :) - at half term).

Do you live anywhere convenient for University Station? Or the number 98 or 99 bus routes?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks both :) The KES exam is next Friday, its a school day. We have to drop by 8am and then pick up by 2.45pm, so I'm going to go home as its all day. Trains aren't really feasible as we are on the other line, so we would have to go into Snow Hill and change, so its 1-1.5 hrs and if there is a delay etc. Buses would be the same. JaneEyre, I really don't know the area, so being 20 mins walk away, I would worry about getting lost and I think it would stress my daughter out before the exam. We walk lots in our village though, we aren't drive everywhere people.

Sounds like the North East car park is the best plan, I don't mind paying, I just didn't know if members of the public could use it, so thanks Toadmum. The geology sounds interesting, its just a long day, if it was a morning, that would be a good plan.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

The multistorey on Pritchatts Rd is around the corner and free evenings and weekends. It is the most stress-free option.
The Barber Gallery is great way to spend your waiting time if you are coming from a distance. The new Lapworth is fantastic too, especially if you have kids with you - Toadmum, your son will enjoy it.
UmSusu
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

Have the school not sent pick up instructions?
When my daughter sat the exam 2 years ago they asked us to park in the Parade Ground car park (entrance on Bristol Road) along with the parade ground gate code for pick up.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Mum1115 all the instructions say is there is a chicane system in the morning whereby staff take your child from your sort of moving car. And to come by public transport if possible. We can't as we aren't on that train line, so timing is too tight if a train is late :(
It will be fine hopefully
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

halsea wrote:Mum1115 all the instructions say is there is a chicane system in the morning whereby staff take your child from your sort of moving car. And to come by public transport if possible. We can't as we aren't on that train line, so timing is too tight if a train is late :(
It will be fine hopefully
It will be fine, but important to go early depending on the timing as you might be battling the rush hour traffic to get there.Once he is there on time you will have done everything you can.In previous years I have seen signs as to which direction to go for parking/drop off for the exam so keep your eyes peeled.

Good luck to you and your son and to everyone else.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now