Camp Hill Railway Line

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jazz-UK

Camp Hill Railway Line

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hi, they announced earlier this week that they are looking to reopen the Camp Hill Railway line. Does anyone know if the stations are near the grammar schools? Thanks
halsea

Re: Camp Hill Railway Line

Post by halsea »

No idea, but I saw that news and thought how great that will be.
solimum

Post by solimum »

The line runs along the back of the playing fields - very frustrating for DS2 after the trek down the Alcester Rd on the No 50 bus. But they were talking about reopening (it's a freight line now) 10 years ago so don't hold your breath!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have no idea whether any of the three stations is helpful re getting to the schools, but here they are:

Moseley
Kings Heath
Hazelwell

Opening end of 2021.

Apparently :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The old Kings Heath station was at the opposite end of Kings Heath (opposite the Station pub/restaurant, obviously), I don't know where they're planning to put the the new one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mike1880 wrote:The old Kings Heath station was at the opposite end of Kings Heath (opposite the Station pub/restaurant, obviously), I don't know where they're planning to put the the new one.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.birm ... 203574.amp

(This will no doubt mean more to you than it does to me - I did once drive past the Camp Hill schools on my way from the M40 to Jarratt Hall, but given that it was part of a seven hour detour I really could have done without that day, I must admit I wasn't really concentrating on anything but my destination
:) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KH1970

Post by KH1970 »

I live in Kings Heath and I think the KH station is going to be along the other end of the high street, so probably a 20 minute walk or more. However, they have said they will also Hazelwell station, and if they reopen that in the same place as before, it that backs onto the Camp Hill schools so would be about a 5 minute walk!
MSD

Post by MSD »

KH1970 wrote:I live in Kings Heath and I think the KH station is going to be along the other end of the high street, so probably a 20 minute walk or more. However, they have said they will also Hazelwell station, and if they reopen that in the same place as before, it that backs onto the Camp Hill schools so would be about a 5 minute walk!
That will be a wonderful news! Currently DS gets a train to Bournville and then a bus to school. That will cut down 1 bus journey from his usual 2 buses and 2 trains in the morning - not that he complains :(
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

From the grid ref on Wikipedia it looks as though it used to be on the corner of Cartland Road and Pineapple Road (now Designer Bathrooms???). Sounds as though they intend to put the new Kings Heath station on the opposite side of the line to the old one in the corner of Highbury Park?
um

Post by um »

The old station is right next to the Camp Hill Cartland Road entrance.

It is indeed now a bathroom showroom 'Bathrooms by Michael' and if you stand in front of it and look to the right, you can see the overgrown lane down to the old platform.

The opening of the station would do so much to aid travel to the schools. I know a lot of children walk to and from Bournville Station but it's a good 25 minute walk and steeply uphill on the way there!
I've been told by children who do this that the 27 bus which could bridge the journey is so infrequent it's just easier to walk.

This station would then lead onto the next station which is next to where Homebase is now in Kings Heath - then that should lead to a station in Moseley and on to Moor Street.

In the other direction, it will lead to Kings Norton. So children could come in vis the cross city line to New Street to Kings Norton, then change and get back up to Camp Hill.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now