Ok-whose DC is doing CSSE on Saturday + how are we feeling?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Leighmum2019

Re: Ok-whose DC is doing CSSE on Saturday + how are we feeli

Post by Leighmum2019 »

I feel a bit in limbo as a lot of other friends have submitted their choices now and I can’t! How I’m going to wait for 1st March is beyond me!
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

Leighmum2019 wrote:I feel a bit in limbo as a lot of other friends have submitted their choices now and I can’t! How I’m going to wait for 1st March is beyond me!
Surely that’s only people who didn’t take the 11+?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You can submit your CAF expressing your preferences (which is what they are, not choices) now, if you don't feel it's tempting fate. Then just retrieve your form and resubmit it at any time before the deadline, if you need / want to.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Yes, only those who didn’t do 11 plus but that’s 70% of her year and 95% of her friendship group!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Leighmum2019 wrote:I feel a bit in limbo as a lot of other friends have submitted their choices now and I can’t! How I’m going to wait for 1st March is beyond me!
What is going to change with your preferences even when you know the score?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:
What is going to change with your preferences even when you know the score?
Preferences may not change, but in the event of a sub-303 score, if first prefs are Westcliff and Southend, there is the question of whether to leave those in for a certain refusal but the right to appeal, or just take one or both off altogether and perhaps substitute a couple more comprehensives.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Idoknow

Post by Idoknow »

3littleboys wrote:Last year the second sitting papers seemed to be much harder than the first with only 30% getting 303 and above per foi below.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... t_2017_oct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My son sat the test on the second date last year - we are in Southend. It was because I forgot to register him as soon as the registration opened for the test..... anyhow, the second test was much harder than the first one and he said that maths was harder than English.... He did, to his credit, score very, very highly and I am still thinking how he would possibly have nearly maximum score had he sat the test on the September date - we will never know.
He is now at SHSB which was his first choice and has hit the ground running very fast indeed, made lots of friends already and is enjoying himself. The school is a bit over the top regarding sports, sometimes I think to myself would they even in a sports academy be chased so much by PE teachers to join something to do with football or basketball? So, sharpen your determination if you send your sons there, it will be a battle between 3 wills:yours, boys’ and PE teachers’
Best of luck to the boys and girls doing the test on Tuesday.
Idoknow

Post by Idoknow »

Appuskidu wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Appuskidu wrote:Does anyone know how many people will sit the csse 11+? I’d heard over 2000 boys were at SHSB yesterday-I wonder how many in total, across all the schools and all of the sittings??

Rather more like a quarter of that, according to my source, which would be a bit up on last year's main date sitting.

I'm not sure where they would actually have put '2000+' boys?
Must have been a scurrilous rumour!

Do you know roughly how many people take the CSSE test-across all schools?
Last year there were 4900 candidates in total, that is boys and girls in both sittings. The number rises every year, it seems.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Idoknow wrote:
3littleboys wrote:Last year the second sitting papers seemed to be much harder than the first with only 30% getting 303 and above per foi below.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... t_2017_oct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My son sat the test on the second date last year - we are in Southend. It was because I forgot to register him as soon as the registration opened for the test..... anyhow, the second test was much harder than the first one and he said that maths was harder than English.... He did, to his credit, score very, very highly and I am still thinking how he would possibly have nearly maximum score had he sat the test on the September date - we will never know.
He is now at SHSB which was his first choice and has hit the ground running very fast indeed, made lots of friends already and is enjoying himself. The school is a bit over the top regarding sports, sometimes I think to myself would they even in a sports academy be chased so much by PE teachers to join something to do with football or basketball? So, sharpen your determination if you send your sons there, it will be a battle between 3 wills:yours, boys’ and PE teachers’
How do you know the second test was much harder than the first one?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
Idoknow wrote:

How do you know the second test was much harder than the first one?
I think it's usually the main date paper which is made available for sale the February after the exam, so those whose DC sat the exam on the reserve date do have the opportunity to compare one actual paper with what their DC remembers of the paper s/he sat. However, what one candidate finds 'harder, another will find 'easier'
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now