Breaking the silence..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rising star

Breaking the silence..

Post by rising star »

I want to scream and say this wait is too long until the 12th when DS's results will be out! So many questions going through my head

Do we read the result together or not? I Dont want to upset him otherwise

How do the results come? I 've heard they dont give a break down of each subject and just inform that they have cleared the test or not.

what is it the appeal process like? does he require to be somewhere near to 121 to appeal or anyone can appeal?

Thanks in Advance

and good luck and hugs to everyone here who are sailing in the same ship as me :)
Guest55

Re: Breaking the silence..

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome! Is your child at a Bucks primary or partner school or elsewhere? The answers depend on that.

See here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... t-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your child does not qualify then please read the difference between a review and an appeal very carefully.
rising star

Post by rising star »

Guest55 wrote:Welcome! Is your child at a Bucks primary or partner school or elsewhere? The answers depend on that.

See here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... t-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your child does not qualify then please read the difference between a review and an appeal very carefully.

Yes he is in the Bucks primary school. Thanks for the link Guest55

makes the result a bit clear to understand. I must have seen it sometime earlier. But must have been least bothered with the result process as I was more concerned with the preparation.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

what is it the appeal process like? does he require to be somewhere near to 121 to appeal or anyone can appeal?
Welcome!

Anyone can appeal, whatever the score, but your chances will probably be better (at appeal or at review) with a score close to 121.

Our advice on appeals can be found here.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most primaries ask you to take the envelope away before opening it.

Some Headteachers don't seem to understand the consequences of a failed review so should your child not qualify then do come back for help :)
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi,

We went through the same last year. We took our envelope and opened it together later on. For us, it didn’t contain good news but with the help of the lovely people here, we went to selection review which was successful.

Not long to wait now.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hello,

We also went through this last year. We opened the envelope at home together. I can't remember but I think that the results were broken down in maths, verbal and NVR?

And we didn't visit the grammars in Year 6 until we got his results, and visited our favourite two in one week!

Best of luck with the wait.
BB
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Last year they gave a breakdown, but not sure what will happen this year with the change to GL.

Last year they explained how the STTS is worked out.

There were 3 steps.
Step 1: They gave the age standarised scores for Verbal, Numerical and Non Verbal (Broken down)
Step 2: Age standarised scores were then weighted as follows, Verbal 50%, Numerical 30% Non Verbal 20%
It gave the DCs weighted standarised scores for all 3 areas
Step 3: The 3 weighted scores were then added together to give the final STTS

This post is probably a waste of time as this year will be totally different!

Best of luck
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... sfer-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Your child's scores from the two Secondary Transfer Test papers will be added together and expressed as a Standardised Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS). The STTS will be the sum of the following:
* 50% of the standardised score for the verbal sections
* 25% of the standardised score for the mathematical sections
* 25% of the standardised score for the non-verbal sections"
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

What we know you will receive is this (from the BCC website):
What the results mean

The letter you receive on 12 October will be tailored according to your child's Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS).

If your child's STTS is 50 or more, the letter will contain a detailed analysis of the score together with information about whether the STTS qualifies the child for grammar school admission.

Where a child's STTS is lower than 50, a less detailed letter will be provided. It will not detail the exact STTS but will just state that the STTS was less than 50. The child will not be qualified for grammar school; however, should you want a detailed breakdown of your child's score you will be advised of how this can be requested.
However, I think we can safely assume that a breakdown of the scores into VR, NVR and maths will be given. Without that it would be impossible for parents to make meaningful cases at Reviews/Appeals, e.g. for a dyslexic child who achieved highly in maths and NVR, but lower in VR, thus missing out on qualifying by a very few marks.

(x-post with G55: The BCC site doesn't explicitly say that the three scores will be provided to parents.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now