Did you have a clue when the results came through

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thwaitsey

Did you have a clue when the results came through

Post by Thwaitsey »

Hi everyone, just a quick question. When the results come in do you generally have an idea about if the results were good enough to get in to the school you want? Do you know at the same time as everyone else (comprehensive school in March that that’s when your child has a spot or is it earlier than that?? Sorry if I sound stupid just trying to make sure I get it all right and don’t miss things.
Guest55

Re: Did you have a clue when the results came through

Post by Guest55 »

It depends on where you live.

In Bucks if you qualify and live in catchment then you can be 99.8% sure of a place at your catchment GS.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

I think it very much varies by region. In my area (not a full grammar school area) we are told on 10th of October whether or not DC have a place if they were to apply by 31 October through the CAF. I believe there is also a waiting list which consists of those who passed the 11+ but live OOC and did not score high enough to get a residual place. If you get a place then you don't actually get to know the score.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As others have stated it is different from exam to exam.

You need to post in your region and you will get advice there.

Nobody can answer this questions without knowing which exams your dc has taken. DG
Dixechick1975

Post by Dixechick1975 »

Very much depends on region. Where we are, if you live in catchment and pass then you know you have a place when you receive the results in October. 1st march is just a formality. This is because considerably less children in catchment pass than there are places, the spare places go to out of catchment children. Top scoring OOC children are also told they have a place in October.

So a big perk of passing 11 plus here is you know where you are going from the October in yr 6.

It is very different to oversubscribed areas down south and I posted the wording of the pass letter on the Lancs forum.

I am delighted to inform you [name] reached the required standard in the tests and, in accordance with Lancashire County Council's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme, we have informed the Local Education Authority (LEA) that we would be pleased to accept [name] as a student at Clitheroe Royal Grammar School from September 2017. We understand that the LEA will allocate [name] a place here if your common Application states that you have put Clitheroe Royal Grammar School as your first preference.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

For Birmingham and Warwickshire you won't know until 1st March. Only the really high scores will be certain.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Essex CSSE send out a sheet for their schools with traffic light scores based on the previous few years marks. If you're in the green zone you're good to put the school top of your list of choices then they do yellow and amber can't remember which way round but one colour means all kids who got scores in that bracket eventually got places but not necessarily on allocations day and red meant no chance

So yes. In Essex we get a very good indication on results day as to whether it's worth putting the school down as a choice
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also in Essex, in catchment for the Southend and Westcliff grammar schools. Elder two took the exam under the previous system (CAF submission before exam), so first knew whether or not they had done well enough from their school allocation.

With DS2, from his score we could be pretty certain of a place at any of the relevant grammar schools (or KEGS or CRGS, had we been cruel enough to inflict the journey on him), but still completed the CAF fully.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

In Surrey you are told you are able to put the school down on your CAF but it will still remain about a 50:50 chance due to over subscription of getting a place, you aren’t told your scores either. Therefor you need to have a back up.