Out of catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Feniya

Out of catchment area

Post by Feniya »

My DS is planning to sit for exam in SW consortium and latymer schools and DAO. I did go thorugh all schools admission criteria and we are not in catchment area.I would like to know can my ds sit for the exam even he is not in catchment area and move to area once he get the score.
loobylou

Re: Out of catchment area

Post by loobylou »

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along to guide you more soon.
For DAO the answer is definitely no - you have to live in the catchment area to be able to sit the exam (it's a very big area).
For Latymer I'm fairly sure that the answer is yes but you have to move into the catchment area fairly quickly (?by January).
I'm afraid I don't know anything about the SW Herts consortium.
Sunnyrosegarden

Post by Sunnyrosegarden »

For SW Herts, I think you have to check the admissions area for each school, as they vary. St Clements Danes doesn't have an area for their few academic/music places, but the rest do.

You only get a week or so before the results and date of application, so moving into catchment will be almost impossible for the first round offers. Guess you could go in as a late applicant for later rounds?
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Sunnyrosegarden wrote:For SW Herts, I think you have to check the admissions area for each school, as they vary. St Clements Danes doesn't have an area for their few academic/music places, but the rest do.

You only get a week or so before the results and date of application, so moving into catchment will be almost impossible for the first round offers. Guess you could go in as a late applicant for later rounds?
Really? They do write exam end of y5[aug,sept/oct] and get the result by March ..So we should get around 6 months before they start y7 to move into catchment .That's what I understood . AM I missing something?
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Sunnyrosegarden wrote:For SW Herts, I think you have to check the admissions area for each school, as they vary. St Clements Danes doesn't have an area for their few academic/music places, but the rest do.

Yes , I did check their website but I wanted to know some response from parents who has gone through the process.
priyakheterpal

Post by priyakheterpal »

You have to be in catchment before you submit CAF which is end of October.

There are few OOC seats as well but the scores go high for such seats.

Also for Hertfordshire, you can either give DAO or SW Herts. You will not even be allowed to give exams of both.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Feniya wrote:

Really? They do write exam end of y5[aug,sept/oct] and get the result by March ..So we should get around 6 months before they start y7 to move into catchment .That's what I understood . AM I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. You have to apply for secondary school places by 31st October. There may be a slightly later date to submit a change of address and still have your application assessed as on time, but in a lot of cases, your address at first application is the one which will be used for 1st March allocations. So if being in a priority area (or distance as a tie-breaker) is important, you will have missed out in the first round and moving after allocations day will just change your place on the waiting list, not get your DC a place in an oversubscribed school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The result isn't in March, that's when schools are allocated. You have to submit your school preferences on the CAF by the end of October, and generally, if admission is catchment related the address at that date is the one they use (but check your individual s hooks admissions policies). Most 11 plus tests are in September, with results before the CAF is submitted.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I would suggest that you have a good read of the following:

- your home local authority's secondary transfer section on its website
- the admissions policy of any school in which you are interested
- the website of any local authority a school in which you are interested in, if not your home one (you apply through your home LA, wherever your listed schools are, but the school's LA may have rules which have to be considered as well).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

priyakheterpal wrote: Also for Hertfordshire, you can either give DAO or SW Herts. You will not even be allowed to give exams of both.
Yes you will, as there is no catchment restriction for the SW Herts EXAM. You could live in Potters Bar or Timbuktu and still take the exam.

In fact, there is a small area of overlap between the DAO and Parmiters catchments, so you can take both exams AND then apply to both schools.

Also, as mentioned up-thread, St Clement Dane's has no catchment for the exam base segment of its intake.